Newbie pool owner from Canberra, Australia

Welcome! Glad you found TFP.

When you get a chance, Go to 'Settings' (upper right on this page) and then find 'Edit Signature' on the left side of the settings page and add some details about your pool.

Hope you've enjoyed reading some of the resources here!

Welcome Ned- love the name by the way-so Australian.;)!

Our ability to help you will be centred on having the 'correct' test kit which will deliver reliable and accurate test results. One thing for sure is that you need to avoid the free testing offered by pool shops which is designed to sell you chemicals. Most of these are unecessary. There are a couple of options- an American online company who sell the K2006- http://www.poolvacparts.com or a local online company http://www.clearchoiclabs.com.au who sell a version of the same kit.

Either way this is the first thing you should do right now then post up some results. While your waiting for your test kit to arrive read Pool School and follow the forums. Fire away with any further questions you may have.

Thanks Jezza and Needsajet for your warm welcomes and start-off tips. I'll start to build my signature with the pool details and will get the kit. Yes, I've visited my local pool shop once and quickly identified they try to sell-everything-they-can.

The pump, all the pipes, valves and the sand filter are a source of uncertainty with my pool as well. For one thing: I'm convinced the filter is not working correctly (the water is very cloudy/milky). It looks like the pool has been neglected for a very long time so it's likely I'll need to do quite a lot more than just add the correct levels of chlorine. I considered getting a "pool expert" to come and suggest what needs to be done and on first telephone contact he straight away began talking about the 20 year old filter needing to be replaced and all sorts of other work which sounded over the top and indicated he thought I have several money trees growing in my yard so I cancelled and ran/swam a mile! :shark:

Cheers

It could be more likely that you have algae if the water is looking cloudy/milky and that the filter is clogged up. First thing you might want to do is backwash your sand filter- then take a 'clean' reading on your pressure gauge.

I agree. Before you run-out and hire someone, get that test kit, do a basic filter cleaning (we can help guide you), and let us assist from there. As thousands of TFP members can attest, taking care of your pool is not that difficult once you know the basics. Take a look at the Pool School link in my sig to get started. Great to have you with us!

HI and welcome! You are off to a great start finding TFP and saying hi!

Now lets get the pool looking like a jewel. Please start a thread in "just getting started" so we can all work with you as you take control of your pool. The first thing you should do is order the test kit Jazza posted about. The next is take several pictures of your equipment for us to tell you want does what and how to care for it.

I will look for your new thread!

Kim

welcome. i agree with jezza's recommending taylor's K-2006C complete test kit. u can find it on amazon.com. its well organized and has excellent instructions.

i also agree with texas splash that taking care of ur pool, including testing chemicals, becomes second nature once u start doing it. as many members have posted in the past, no one will take care of ur pool as well as u will.

Yes, the K2006C is suitable for salt and fresh water pools. It does not include a salt test, however. The K-1766 salt drop test is a good one, although some people let the SWG controller alert them to low salt, and then add a bag.

The Clear Choice Labs kit can be ordered with or without a salt test, and is also suitable for both salt and fresh water pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support