Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Calcium hypochlorite to bump up CH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Calcium hypochlorite to bump up CH?

Is this a stupid idea? As posted elsewhere, I need to drain and replace water in my pool to deal with an elevated CYA problem. This will lower my CH and rather than adding bleach keep algae at bay and adding CaCl2 to add CH, can I just use Cal-hypo until my CH problem is resolved? I didn't do a exhaustive cost comparison, but my quick take was that it might be less expensive and more parsimonious to use Cal Hypo than CaCl2+bleach.

Am I off base? How should I calculate how much CH will rise with Cal Hypo?

Thanks!

Jay
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using Calcium hypochlorite to bump up CH?

absolutely! Go down to the bottom of Pool Math's "Effects of Adding Chemicals" and input the CalHypo (after entering your own pool's specifics) and it will tell you how much to add.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    absolutely! Go down to the bottom of Pool Math's "Effects of Adding Chemicals" and input the CalHypo (after entering your own pool's specifics) and it will tell you how much to add.
    Aha! I got it. Thanks so much. Once I get the CYA corrected, I'll use CalHypo granules until I get my CH corrected.
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Let is know how it goes!