Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair EasyTouch 4P vs PL4

1. Back To Top    #1

Sacramento, CA

Pentair EasyTouch 4P vs PL4

Iíve been looking into an EasyTouch system, focusing on the 4P, but just noticed that Pentair has another newish EasyTouch line -- the PL4 (and PS4 for pool+spa):

From what I can see, the main difference is the PL4 doesnít have a built-in load center/breaker slots or the optional built-in IntelliChlor power supply; it does have a bundle that includes the ScreenLogic wireless interface that can be purchased separately for the 4P.

From a quick search on pricing, these seem to be equivalent in cost and functionality:

4PSC-IC40 (520593) + ScreenLogic wireless (522104) = ~$1500
    PL4 (522353) + IC40 cell (520555) + IC power supply(520556) = ~$1500

The cost advantage comes if I decide to go with a Stenner pump now but later end up installing an SWCG.

The only disadvantage I can see to the PL4 setup is having 3 boxes on the wall (EasyTouch, load center, SWCG supply) instead of 1, with the resulting conduit between them. Any other differences that Iím missing? Do they otherwise have the same control capabilities?
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Bedford, TX

Re: Pentair EasyTouch 4P vs PL4

I know nothing about the PL products, but I did take a quick look at their brochure and they look like they have way less capabilities than the Standard EasyTouch.

As an example.. The EasyTouch can control 2 Intelliflo pumps, the PL series 1 pump. The EasyTouch can have 12 schedules, with the PL only 4. The EasyTouch has 8 feature circuits while the PL has 2. The PL seems to have only 4 speeds.. I'm not sure how many speeds the EasyTouch has, but I have yet to run out.

I only skimmed the brochure, but at this point I can't see anyone that would benefit buying the PL instead of the standard EasyTouch. You can buy an EasyTouch 8 with an IC60 plus valves for $1,800 from Sunplay.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Pentair EasyTouch 4P vs PL4

I would avoid the Easytouch Lite just to keep the clutter off the wall. The cabinet is the same size as a standard Easytouch and it is a ton of wasted space.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source