Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White crystals formation

1. Back To Top    #1

White crystals formation

Hi all,
    I am noticing white crystal like stuff popping up in the pool. They are very hard and hard to remove with hands. Does anyone know what this might be and how to remove them?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White crystals formation

It looks like efflorescence. There are probably hairline cracks in your plaster right where those crystals are, and the water gets behind it and starts reacting with the shell material.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

They are actually everywhere. More than i could count. Even on the floor of the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

What's your calcium test reading?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

I just took the readings.

Fc 5.58
    Ph 7.6
    Ch 208
    Cya 50

15000 gallon with spa, plaster, hayward ctg filter, advantageman 2hp motor, bleach, poolvac XL

6. Back To Top    #6

Can someone please suggest? It is increasing and are even seen on more spots. I went to Leslie's pool and they think it is calcium deposits.

I also tried to reduce PH with acid but have not been successful. Here are the latest readings.

Fc 4.37
    Ph 7.8
    Alk 111
    Ch 252
    Cya 48

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3933.jpg
    Here is the pic.

7. Back To Top    #7

A couple questions to help us reply to your last couple test results:
    - What test kit was used to get those results?
    - Do you have a SWG (salt water generator)?

It would also be helpful if you listed all of your pool details into your signature. You can do this by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    A couple questions to help us reply to your last couple test results:
    - What test kit was used to get those results?
    - Do you have a SWG (salt water generator)?

It would also be helpful if you listed all of your pool details into your signature. You can do this by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.
    Thanks, Just updated my signature.

I use ColorQ digital.

I do have SWG system but Cell is not working. I use bleach for chlorine.
    15000 gallon with spa, plaster, hayward ctg filter, advantageman 2hp motor, bleach, poolvac XL

9. Back To Top    #9

Are you in Plano, TX? Please add your state to your location in your profile so that it shows up over there <-------
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach