Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool deck drainage? what do the channels do and how? Pics included

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool deck drainage? what do the channels do and how? Pics included

I have these plastic-covered channels all around my pool. Most do not lead anywhere, they just run into more concrete. They are covered channels that are double deckered. So a shallow square channel over a deeper v channel (see pic 2).

I am in AZ, we dont have much rain. We do have scorpions that like to live in these channels. I would like to rip them out and fill with polyurethane self-leveling caulk. Are there any dangers associated with this.

I dont understand what these channels do. When in good shape (they are old and cracked now, aren't we all!) they are covered (see pic 3), so how is splash or rain water getting in to them. Plus they do not lead to a drain or ground. they just run into concrete (pic 4)

Hmmm, I do not seem to have the space to upload images. I have uploaded them here Postimage.org / gallery - 1 deck channel, 2 double decker, 3 covered channel, 4 end in concrete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Inground Concrete/Plaster Diving Pool, 17X30 ft, 20k gallons, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 5 returns,
    1 HP (SF 1.25) STARITE SINGLE SPEED, 2-Speed, 1 HP Pentair Superflo (not yet installed!) Hayward Sandfilter 3.14 ft.ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool deck drainage? what do the channels do and how? Pics included

They're not drainage. I think they're to allow for expansion. Mine are in rough shape as well and I've considered ripping them out and caulking as well. I look forward to a response from someone in the know.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't have any experience with these, but remembered this post where this member replaced his Dante's Playground Revitalization | An adventure in rehabbing, on your own - Page 2 starting with post # 36
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

4. Back To Top    #4

That makes sense. I wonder why it was not just left open like the rest of the patio. What are you thinking of using to fill them in, I have used self-levelling poly urethane caulk. That has worked well but there is one location where I see it is starting to separate.
    Inground Concrete/Plaster Diving Pool, 17X30 ft, 20k gallons, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 5 returns,
    1 HP (SF 1.25) STARITE SINGLE SPEED, 2-Speed, 1 HP Pentair Superflo (not yet installed!) Hayward Sandfilter 3.14 ft.ft

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the link otter. That is useful. My concern is that the trim a slab will still have small gaps and maybe shrink in the sun. With the caulk, I imagine one can go over it...

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for posting about this...I have a few of these and they are in ok condition but I need to remove one (likely to break in the process)
    to install a bond wire to my metal pool ladder.

Wasn't sure where I would find a replacement.

Cheers!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Glad it was helpful information.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

8. Back To Top    #8

Those are expansion joints that allow the concrete to move a little without cracking.

Caulk isn't effective when it fills a large joint like that. You can fill the joint with foam or sand or asphalt impregnated strips (available from a mason yard). Then put a 1/4-1/2" thick layer of caulk on top. That way the caulk is strong enough to stretch when the slabs move, but no so thick that it won't stretch or compress.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thats what I have done in areas of my house further away from the pool. Sand or backer rod followed by Sikaflex Model # 221060 Internet # 206200505 Store SKU # 271360 29 oz. Flex Self-Leveling Sealant Gray

Its held up for about 3 years now. Except in one location where I think water has pooled on occasion where there is about 1mm separation in a couple of areas.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

How about some slightly tapered (thick at the surface skinnier at the bottom) teak, redwood, or cedar. A little sanding and a bit of caulk should be able to deal with any inconsistency in the joint. you can then waterproof it with tinted stain to match the deck. I would think it would last at least a few years perhaps longer if you reapply the waterproofing every year.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

11. Back To Top    #11

Agreed, that is definitely plastic material being used for expansion joints in an attempt to allow the concrete to expand and contract without cracking. Remove them and fill with some foam material almost to the top (i.e. Poli-Void Stegmeier LLC) and then caulk the very top with something like MasterSeal NP1 or Boss Joint Sealant Stegmeier LLC.
    34K gal, 20'x40' IGP (backfilled and reinforced concrete block walls with concrete floor built mid-1970's; renovated 2017), PebbleSheen Arctic White plaster finish, Lotus Prisma Marine 1x2 glass waterline tiles, Indiana limestone coping, 1.5hp Hayward pump, Pac-Fab Triton TR100 sand filter, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color LED 120v Pool Light, Dolphin Supreme M400 robot

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

definitely expansion joints used extensively in az & to some extent calif, yes you can remove them & use foam backer rod underneath & fill the rest of the joint with a self leveling flexible material. deco seal is one such product, U can buy at your local pool store or masonery supply

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

NOTE: This is an old thread. The OP has not been online in almost a year.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!