Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Location

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Location

I am hopefully about to start breaking ground next Tuesday. Design is final, except now I'm just a little concerned about skimmer placement. I have a weather station at my house that has collected data over the past year. Among other things, the wind direction shown in the bottom of the first photo seems to overwhelmingly be from the SE and NE throughout the year. It's hard to tell, but the wind speed on average is less than 5 mph for the entire year.

The second photo below shows my planned skimmer locations along with a North arrow. Skimmer #1 (bottom right) seems to be positioned ideally for SE winds. However, my concern is Skimmer #2 (top left) and the fact that it faces W/NW, which is a very small percentage of the time for the prevailing wind direction. Should I be concerned about the location of Skimmer #2 or not? Is there a better location I could move it to? Keep in mind that everywhere there are green rocks on the edge, those rocks go down into the water, so those locations are not an option for putting a skimmer.

Am I being to nit picky? Will all the debris basically find its way to the two skimmers regardless of wind direction? Note that I do have 6 returns, shown as R1, R2, etc. below. Thanks!

14K gal, IG Shotcrete, Depth: 3'6" to 5'6", Pentair Intellipro XF VS Pumps (2), CCP520 Filter, Intellitouch i9+3S w/ ScreenLogic2, DEL Ozone EC-20 w/ Stenner Pump for Chlorine, Flagstone Coping, Moss/Creek Rock Waterfall, Dolphin 15.5' Slide, Intellibrite 5G Pool Lights (3), Globrites (2), Kichler Underwater Waterfall Lights (4), Paramount Paralevel Auto Leveler, 4'x8'Techno-Solis Solar Panels (14), Dolphin S300i Cleaner, My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Location

The screen shot below shows where I am considering moving Skimmer #2 to (left side). Would this be better than where it was or worse?

Sorry, I the North arrow is gone, but you can reference the photo in the first post.

14K gal, IG Shotcrete, Depth: 3'6" to 5'6", Pentair Intellipro XF VS Pumps (2), CCP520 Filter, Intellitouch i9+3S w/ ScreenLogic2, DEL Ozone EC-20 w/ Stenner Pump for Chlorine, Flagstone Coping, Moss/Creek Rock Waterfall, Dolphin 15.5' Slide, Intellibrite 5G Pool Lights (3), Globrites (2), Kichler Underwater Waterfall Lights (4), Paramount Paralevel Auto Leveler, 4'x8'Techno-Solis Solar Panels (14), Dolphin S300i Cleaner, My Pool Build

3. Back To Top    #3

I think I'd have an easier time understanding things if you could draw an arrow indicating the wind direction in relation to the pool and highlight the skimmers. I'm not seeing them.

That said, if you have a skimmer at the prevailing downwind side, it will catch most of the debris. The second skimmer would function as a backup water supply for the pump when the main skimmer is packed full of crud.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard, please see below. The original design has the skimmer on the left moved up by the stairs (see original photo in 1st post).

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I would go ahead and move the skimmer on the left. Stuff generally will make it into a skimmer anyway but the sooner it gets there the better so it won't water log and sink. You still may end up with leaves stuck on the shelf. But, that is better since it is shallow.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

So, I am a pool newby, pump just started running this afternoon. I was advised that the returns didn't matter, but I just stepped in from watching my returns shoot debris to the skimmers, so I believe (based on several hours of experience, LOLOLOL) that it matters.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree that moving the skimmer makes sense (the weather data is awesome!!!). Might want to consider moving R4 to the other side of the light too, so it is not so close to the skimmer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

It can matter where returns are in relation to skimmers. But, I think it matters more that they do not shoot the debris past the skimmer. If one does then you can point it more down into the pool to reduce the surface movement or reverse the circulation pattern. The most important part of setting up your returns is creating a clockwise or counterclockwise circular water circulation movement (try both). This will make the biggest difference from a return standpoint.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach