Help identify equipment

Noelep

Mar 9, 2013
Houston, TX
We are having some work done to replace some of the pool deck - and in doing so some of the plumbing got damaged. In cutting out some of the pipes I found this on the main drain pipe (along with some very convoluted joints). It was buried about 2ft below ground.

Can anyone help me identify what it is - and whether I should replace it?

Thanks in advance!

91d0cb9dff5addfc385603e7804ee661.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks more like a sewer clean out to me. I don't think its a check valve. Which makes no sense but then burying that whatever as part of pool plumbing makes no sense to me either.

Can we get a picture of the equipment pad and the pool?

I vote for sewer clean out also.

I have clean out like that under my Trex deck (a lift off panel) that opens easily and I can drop my hot tub's sump hose into when draining. It goes across my yard and under some pool deck cement to the large county sewer pipes down hill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: Yes it's a check valve. And I was wrong about it being the main drain suction line - it is actually the spa return. (Both 1.5").

Glad I noticed or I would have the new valve in the wrong way!

That aside - the spa return actually has a check valve type nozzle on the jet. Wondering if that means I can do away with one on the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep/install a check valve on the spa return side. Jandy and Pentair both make good ones that you can replace the "insides" when, in time, will fail, without having to cut out the old housing and plumb in a new one. Just don't bury the check valve it you want to be able to service (you will want to).

Very slick IMO.

BTW, the check valve in that picture does not have a spring in it. the flapper is brass and seals nicely closing under its own weight. Drawback is that it can only be mounted in one of two ways to make that happen. Laterally, only with the plug facing up, and vertically with flow only upwards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.