Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help identify equipment

1. Back To Top    #1

Help identify equipment

We are having some work done to replace some of the pool deck - and in doing so some of the plumbing got damaged. In cutting out some of the pipes I found this on the main drain pipe (along with some very convoluted joints). It was buried about 2ft below ground.

Can anyone help me identify what it is - and whether I should replace it?

Thanks in advance!

25k gal, IG plaster, 2HP centurion pump, Purex Triton DE, overflow spa, zodiac blower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help identify equipment

It looks like a check valve.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Interesting - makes sense as the equipment is a few feet above the pool. Never seen one like that - but the pool is pretty old.

I should probably put a new one in then?!

25k gal, IG plaster, 2HP centurion pump, Purex Triton DE, overflow spa, zodiac blower

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I would put it at the pad so it is more easily serviced.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I think they need a decent column of water to keep the seal...so the pad might not work. Maybe put it in an irrigation box?

6. Back To Top    #6

One of these on the equipment pad will work great and can be easily serviced when the time comes.

Jandy Spring Check Valve 7305. Jandy 7305. Zodiac 7305.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok - spring loaded so it doesn't require the water pressure? Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks more like a sewer clean out to me. I don't think its a check valve. Which makes no sense but then burying that whatever as part of pool plumbing makes no sense to me either.

Can we get a picture of the equipment pad and the pool?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

I vote for sewer clean out also.

I have clean out like that under my Trex deck (a lift off panel) that opens easily and I can drop my hot tub's sump hose into when draining. It goes across my yard and under some pool deck cement to the large county sewer pipes down hill.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

It does look a bit like a clean out trap - but it's definitely on the main drain suction line. I'm going to clean it off today and see what's what....

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Gentlemen, that is not a sewer clean out. That is a check valve...
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Noelep View Post
    Ok - spring loaded so it doesn't require the water pressure? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The spring helps keep the valve closed, not open. It adds head loss but is necessary under certain conditions.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

Update: Yes it's a check valve. And I was wrong about it being the main drain suction line - it is actually the spa return. (Both 1.5").

Glad I noticed or I would have the new valve in the wrong way!

That aside - the spa return actually has a check valve type nozzle on the jet. Wondering if that means I can do away with one on the line.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Keep/install a check valve on the spa return side. Jandy and Pentair both make good ones that you can replace the "insides" when, in time, will fail, without having to cut out the old housing and plumb in a new one. Just don't bury the check valve it you want to be able to service (you will want to).

Very slick IMO.

BTW, the check valve in that picture does not have a spring in it. the flapper is brass and seals nicely closing under its own weight. Drawback is that it can only be mounted in one of two ways to make that happen. Laterally, only with the plug facing up, and vertically with flow only upwards.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.