Need replacement pump advice

Mar 17, 2016
Southern Maryland
I need to replace my old pump and filter. It is a Hayward sand system put in around 98 by Blue Haven pools and I know little about it. The pool is 30,000 gallons and this pump setup is costing me around $110.00 a month to run. It only runs from May until Oct. I have no spa or heater or waterfalls just the pool.There are some other items in the pump house that I don't even know what they are. I removed some ozone equipment that was disconnected and trashed last year. I will try and put up some pictures of what I have. There is a strange Thermocraft thing sticking up about 2 feet, some type of grounding system?
Anyway I need a vsr pump that will do the job and is reliable.

Thanks..

1uzCHzfm.jpg

q0ZzOAom.jpg
5ZLERL8m.jpg
I don't know what these three things are but I think I will remove them?

Some more pictures
qxWu6Bym.jpg

bwWtmdkm.jpg

GubEAxem.jpg

yuLCXn1m.jpg

fbXg3cwm.jpg

It is 2 speed 2.1 HP.
- - - Updated - - -

That thermocraft unit has a bunch of ground wires in it but none were attached to the motor anywhere. They seem to be completely separate from the pump?

- - - Updated - - -

That ground unit may be for the underwater pool lighting. Although the wiring going to the pool light was grounded through pool pump power feed. I now see a bare ground wire running from the pump probably to this unit. I will look further tomorrow.
I will wait for the experts opinion.
A link to it THERMOCRAFT JUNCTION BOX SINGLE O1169 JBP75175

Do you run the pump on low speed at all? Just wonder why it is costing that much. It shouldn't.

Also, what do you pay for electricity and how long do you run the pump each day?

Do you currently have any timer or controller?

In general, with simple pool setups and low energy costs, it may not make economic sense to go with a VS.

Thanks for the reply sir. My energy cost here in southern Maryland is currently 0.0813. The pool is run off off the garage service which is a separate service from the home. Here is a usage chart with and without the pool pump running. Quite a difference. My neighbor set the mechanical timer to run on low speed from 8 pm until 11 am when it switches to high all day back to low at 8pm. Says the pool won't stay clean otherwise. She works part time at a pool supply and takes care of two pools in the neighborhood. That does not mean she is right but I am outnumbered in my argument, until now. Usage these month go as high as 969 kwh with only the addition of the pool running. The way the pump was installed, I had to actually cut the nose(black part) of the front of the pump off just to save the white threaded fitting on the valve. It was threaded in the pump and glued on the valve.Nowhere to go. I will have to buy a new pump and then figure out how to re attach the new pump to the valve with threads sticking out.
T4qQiLkm.jpg

biErJStl.jpg

8YRbnJLl.jpg

2zFmejpl.jpg

qxWu6Byl.jpg

8VT31lNl.jpg
This should have been a quick disconnect like the others?.That white knurled part is glued to the valve. I had to either rotate the whole pump assembly to unscrew this or cut the nose off of the pump and salvage the white threaded fitting or cut a whole lot of other black valves out.

Quite a difference. My neighbor set the mechanical timer to run on low speed from 8 pm until 11 am when it switches to high all day back to low at 8pm. Says the pool won't stay clean otherwise.
First step is to stop listening to her. She has no idea what she is talking about. Next, read the pump run time study in my signature. Pools can stay clean with as little as 2 hours of run time a day. Currently, I am running only 1 hour per day. In the summer I go up to 4 hours only for solar and the SWG.

If you were to run your current pump on low speed for 3 hours and high for just 1 hour, you could reduce your power usage and bill by more than 85%!

If you do decide to go with a VS, the SuperFlo is a good choice but for Hayward, I would go with the MaxFlo VS over the TriStar because it has a better price point and it is more efficient than both the SuperFlo and TriStar:

Amazon.com : Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump Energy Star Certified : Patio, Lawn Garden

Does your power company offer any rebates for a VS pump?

If not, it might be more economical to go with a two speed pump. Since you really don't have any water features, you would probably be running with two speeds anyway. It would take about 96 months of operation (1 hour on higher speed + 3 hours on lower speed) before a VS becomes more economical than a two speed. If you are only open 3 months a year, that would be over 30 years. However, that changes if you have rebates from the power company.

Both the SuperFlo and the MaxFlo come in a two speed 1 HP version which would also be very good choices.

Amazon.com : Hayward SP2307X102 1 HP Max-Flo XL Standard Efficient Dual-Speed Medium Head Pump : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

Amazon.com : Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

But either way, you only get real savings if you alter your run time schedule.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The polaris has a booster pump doesn't it? If so, then it doesn't matter which pump you use.

With $400 rebate, it definitely makes sense for the VS but just make sure you install power surge protection with the pump to protect your investment.

Is it a pressure cleaner or a suction cleaner?

That surge protection is fine. Lowes or HD also sell one that installs in a breaker slot if you have an empty one available.

Blue haven pools used the energy sweep (Jandy porpoise) for years. Somebody switched it out to a Polaris. That is why there is a 3-way valve after pump with a small inline filter, so they don't need a Booster pump. if the fitting in the wall is at least 1.5" you could change to suction side cleaner. The thermocraft cover is a pool light junction box. The bare wire going to it is a bond wire. What else is connected to the suction line. Do you have a spa? In which case you have to have a pump with enough output to run jets

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a spa, just the polaris. Which pump would you recommend for me?. The output fitting in the wall is an inch or less.
Also, is there a way I can remove the white fitting that is on the black inlet valve to the pump?. It is glued on to the outside of the black valve. I have it covered with a plastic bag in the pictures.I can't connect new pvc over threads.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.