Need replacement pump advice

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a spa, just the polaris. Which pump would you recommend for me?. The output fitting in the wall is an inch or less.
Also, is there a way I can remove the white fitting that is on the black inlet valve to the pump?. It is glued on to the outside of the black valve. I have it covered with a plastic bag in the pictures.I can't connect new pvc over threads.
Which Polaris cleaner do you have and is there a valve that controls the flow to the cleaner?

As for the fitting on the valve, there are female threaded PVC fittings that would go over that thread as long as thread is in good condition. But that would mean moving the pump back so you need to make sure you have enough room to do that.

I can't tell the model of the Polaris, it came with the pool/home when we bought it. Here is a pic
8zKed1D.jpg

kadavis said" Blue haven pools used the energy sweep (Jandy porpoise) for years. Somebody switched it out to a Polaris. That is why there is a 3-way valve after pump with a small inline filter, so they don't need a Booster pump".
qxWu6Byl.jpg

Do you have a picture of the cleaner profile (not connector)? I can't tell from that picture. Did you have a 100% flow going to the cleaner?

I prefer the jandy pumps, a little more expensive but they do give you a few more options. All pumps have a inlet centerpoint measurement, which could make your installation easier or more difficult. Many pumps have adjustable bases to line up with exsisting pumps. By the pictures you sent you probably will have to do quite a bit of plumbing adjustments. As far as the male threads on fitting in bag, you could thread on 2" female adapter or a 2" threaded pvc union.

Thanks for the help guys. It has always done a good job ,I think, cleaning for the last 8 yrs running without a booster pump on the Polaris but I have nothing to compare it to. I think if I add another brand pump into the mix I will really be in a tizzy. Although I have looked at the Jandy pumps.

Blue haven pools used the energy sweep (Jandy porpoise) for years. Somebody switched it out to a Polaris. That is why there is a 3-way valve after pump with a small inline filter, so they don't need a Booster pump. if the fitting in the wall is at least 1.5" you could change to suction side cleaner. The thermocraft cover is a pool light junction box. The bare wire going to it is a bond wire. What else is connected to the suction line. Do you have a spa? In which case you have to have a pump with enough output to run jets
I looked inside the Thermocraft cover and there are only ground wires in there. The instructions I see have all the light wires running through this unit. Is that correct?.
Also,my sand filter is rated @52gpm would a larger pump, say Echostar, pump too much for the filter and how is the pressure the filter receives controlled?.
I have to pick and buy a pump today.

I looked inside the Thermocraft cover and there are only ground wires in there. The instructions I see have all the light wires running through this unit. Is that correct?.
Yes

Also,my sand filter is rated @52gpm would a larger pump, say Echostar, pump too much for the filter and how is the pressure the filter receives controlled?.
For single and two speed pumps by pump size. For a VS pump by the maximum RPM setting. But I suspect your old pump was exceeding that flow rate. Almost any pump would. But luckily sand filters are very forgiving. It probably just pushed some of the dirt right through the filter.

But instead of trying to run a booster type cleaner without the booster, a better solution would be to get a booster-less cleaner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The MaxFlo is a low head pump which is why it is so efficient. The polaris is a high head cleaner (requires high pressure) so they are mismatched. But I was surprised that you could run the cleaner off your old pump anyway so who knows.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.