Chlorine free, Clearwater System?

gbcarl

Bronze Supporter
Mar 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread to ask your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle.

Hello all, I apologize in advance if I missed a post elsewhere, but has anyone looked into the clearwater system, company from Colorado started in 2014 for supposed clorine free pool?

Re: CL Free?

Welcome to TFP gbcarl!

It is a copper/silver ion system. Everything above is unchanged, it is not a sanitation system according to the EPA. It will not work as effectively as chlorine, it is not as safe as a chlorine pool (silver kill rates are nowhere near as good as chlorine) and it will cost much more to maintain a pool with one of these systems than to maintain it using TFPC methods. The water quality probably wouldn't be as good either, but since I won't swim in a pool that doesn't use a proper sanitizer I can't say for sure.

Thanks much appreciated, I have to replace a few things this season, including an aged goldline salt system that came w the pool and couldn't find much info. Glad I found this site, There are so many pool msg boards that have not been updated in years, with old info, and technology does change. , I totally miss spelled earlier, I meant to Clear Comfort, Del has that new Solar Eclipse, Which is ozone and UV I believe, and a host of UV products, Ozone etc. I am not adverse to chlorine at all, picking thru all this stuff is daunting. I did like the salt system, but I am reading how corrosive it supposedly is to equipment, copper pool heaters etc. So, once again thanks, I will continue reading, I am new to this pool stuff, it came w the house, and the pool managers, my wife and two girls, have a lot to say, was hoping there was something they could run! Thanks again

Low pH is what is most corrosive to copper in heaters. UV products are worthless to an outdoor pool that gets sunshine. Sunshine contains far more UV, free! Indoor pools can use the UV product since they don't get nature's UV, and its UV that helps get rid of the combined chloramines (CCs) in a pool.

Ignore Ozone too.

Got it thanks Skippy! I will replace the salt gen and heater, and keep that PH up! Any recommendations on brands etc.? Filter is a Haywood 3030 cartridge that I snagged from a friend who filled his pool in.

I'm sorry, I am clueless when it comes to equipment brands. Someone else will hopefully chime in with recommendations.

<always sad when someone fills a pool in :(>

Any major brand is fine. The Hayward SWG are a good mid level unit that are common. What is wrong with your existing SWG?

Raypak seems to get the most recommendations as far as heaters go.

If you stick with Hayward, Jandy, and Pentair you can't really go wrong, although you may get better warranty coverage if you stick with all one brand. If I had to say something about each, Pentair is probably the best of the 3, but tends to cost the most, and has the most product lock in (you need a Pentair automation system to get the most out of their SWG, or to optimally control their intelliflo variable pumps), Hayward is often the best bang for the buck, Jandy makes some nice stuff, but often seems to be forgotten.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.