Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine free, Clearwater System?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine free, Clearwater System?

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread to ask your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle.

Hello all, I apologize in advance if I missed a post elsewhere, but has anyone looked into the clearwater system, company from Colorado started in 2014 for supposed clorine free pool?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CL Free?

Welcome to TFP gbcarl!

It is a copper/silver ion system. Everything above is unchanged, it is not a sanitation system according to the EPA. It will not work as effectively as chlorine, it is not as safe as a chlorine pool (silver kill rates are nowhere near as good as chlorine) and it will cost much more to maintain a pool with one of these systems than to maintain it using TFPC methods. The water quality probably wouldn't be as good either, but since I won't swim in a pool that doesn't use a proper sanitizer I can't say for sure.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chlorine free, Clearwater System?

Thanks much appreciated, I have to replace a few things this season, including an aged goldline salt system that came w the pool and couldn't find much info. Glad I found this site, There are so many pool msg boards that have not been updated in years, with old info, and technology does change. , I totally miss spelled earlier, I meant to Clear Comfort, Del has that new Solar Eclipse, Which is ozone and UV I believe, and a host of UV products, Ozone etc. I am not adverse to chlorine at all, picking thru all this stuff is daunting. I did like the salt system, but I am reading how corrosive it supposedly is to equipment, copper pool heaters etc. So, once again thanks, I will continue reading, I am new to this pool stuff, it came w the house, and the pool managers, my wife and two girls, have a lot to say, was hoping there was something they could run! Thanks again

4. Back To Top    #4

Low pH is what is most corrosive to copper in heaters. UV products are worthless to an outdoor pool that gets sunshine. Sunshine contains far more UV, free! Indoor pools can use the UV product since they don't get nature's UV, and its UV that helps get rid of the combined chloramines (CCs) in a pool.

Ignore Ozone too.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Got it thanks Skippy! I will replace the salt gen and heater, and keep that PH up! Any recommendations on brands etc.? Filter is a Haywood 3030 cartridge that I snagged from a friend who filled his pool in.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by gbcarl View Post
    Got it thanks Skippy! I will replace the salt gen and heater, and keep that PH up! Any recommendations on brands etc.? Filter is a Haywood 3030 cartridge that I snagged from a friend who filled his pool in.
    I'm sorry, I am clueless when it comes to equipment brands. Someone else will hopefully chime in with recommendations.

<always sad when someone fills a pool in >
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Any major brand is fine. The Hayward SWG are a good mid level unit that are common. What is wrong with your existing SWG?

Raypak seems to get the most recommendations as far as heaters go.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

If you stick with Hayward, Jandy, and Pentair you can't really go wrong, although you may get better warranty coverage if you stick with all one brand. If I had to say something about each, Pentair is probably the best of the 3, but tends to cost the most, and has the most product lock in (you need a Pentair automation system to get the most out of their SWG, or to optimally control their intelliflo variable pumps), Hayward is often the best bang for the buck, Jandy makes some nice stuff, but often seems to be forgotten.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~