Wiring Hayward Aqua Rite AQR15 to Electrical Outlet

Mar 17, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I am considering buying the Hayward Aqua Rite AQR15 from Amazon ( Amazon.com : Hayward AQR15 AquaRite Salt Chlorination System for In-Ground Pools up to 40, 000 Gallons : Swimming Pool Chlorine : Patio, Lawn Garden ). I have read over the product manual and DIY installation appears to be pretty easy.

One question: I have a GFI outlet that is connected to my pool pump timer that I want to use to provide power to the Aqua Rite panel. Is this a simple case of using three strands of wire (or Romex or something like that) and attaching to the appropriate connectors inside the panel and then connecting a three prong electrical plug on the other side of the cable? Is there anything that I should beware of if doing this type of wiring?

My AquaRite is hooked up with 220 directly to the timer. It should be wired so that it is only powered up when the pump is running. A flexible conduit, a couple of connectors and three wires should do it. If I recall it can be wired 110 or 220, but there is jumper that needs to be changed.

The hardest part of the install was locating and plumbing the cell and flow switch. The flow switch needs 12" of straight pipe before it. But the cell can be part of that.

The installation manual is here: http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/AquaRite-AQR-Operation-Installation.pdf

I would read through it a couple of times and see if you feel comfortable with the work required. If not I would have an electrician or pool service person do the install. However, I have my concerns about your familiarity with this level of electrical work. Romex, three prong plugs and 220VAC don't play well together.

Some electrical advice:

It can be wired 110 or 220.

It must be hardwired in. The wire should be encased in 1/2 in flexible conduit. Generally called a whip. For 220 buy 12 gauge stranded red, green and black. Buy 8 gauge bare. All at least four feet longer than your run. Red and Black are your power wires. Green is ground. Bare is bonding. There is no neutral.

Questions?

I guess I thought I was pretty clear in my original post but, based on the two replies, I guess I need to be **crystal clear**

1. Yes, I have read through the installation manual as stated in my original post.
2. Since I stated that I was going to plug this into a GFI outlet, I assumed people would understand that my intent is to use 110.
3. The 120V outlet is connected to my pump timer so the Aqua Rite will be powered on along with the pump.
4. Yes, I understand that Romex is not to be used outdoors--I guess I should have never mentioned it. I did, however, mention using three strands of wire.
5. Not sure why gwegan has an issue with me mentioning a three pronged electrical plug. I am not sure what he uses to plug into a standard electrical outlet.

My question is really pretty simple. Are there any problems with powering this via the GFI outlet that is currently connected to the same timer that powers my pump? After all, Hayward sells the AQR15-120 is pre-wired with an electrical cord for plugging into a 120V outlet. I am just planning on duplicating this same set up. Here is a link to the AQR15-120: AquaRite | Sanitizers | In Ground Pool Sanitizers - Hayward Pool Products

Welcome to TFP!

Not sure why you feel the need to have an attitude, or maybe that is just the way your words are coming across.

Seems that you are pretty sure of what you want to do. If you want to hook up your equipment counter to the recommendations of the manufacturer, that is up to you. And I do not feel it is in TFP's interest to validate or make such a recommendation.

Can you connect to a GFCI plug run off a pump timer? Yes, that is what the corded model is designed to do. And there is really no difference between the corded and hardwired models. As you will note the hardwired models installation manual suggests piggybacking off the pump relay which has the same effect as coming off the timer.

If you want to use the hardwired model with a cord then buy a cord at Home Depot Make the proper jumper connections and you should be fine. You'll have to find a way to seal around the cord exit from the SWG.

I'm curious why there is a GFCI plug that is on the load side of your pump timer. Not sure what the purpose would be. Are you sure that it is not the GFCI plug that is in your light circuit? I would check to see if it has power when the pump is off.

Regarding your wiring idea, what happens when that GFCI nuisance trips from rain or a power surge and your salt system has no power? You're going through all the other trouble of installing the thing...just hard wire it. Just my opinion.

My apologies to the moderator, lblizzle, who feels that I have an attitude problem. I was frustrated because I felt my initial post was pretty clear however the first few responses asked questions about things I had already mentioned (like the fact that I had already read the manual, etc.). I was frustrated at myself for not having made the facts more clear--hence the reason for listing out the facts of my situation in a numbered fashion in my second response.

Thank you gwegan and thepoolman for your thoughts.

Like many people, I acquired this pool through the purchase of a home and I inherited its flawed design.

Flaw number one: the timer is located on my patio, about 100 feet away from the pump. That is why I do not want to wire it directly to the timer.
Flaw number two: there are outlets next to the pool pumps but they are wired to the pump timer. This is a good and a bad thing...

I do not want to run 100 feet of wire from the timer to the Aqua Rite next to my pool pump so my only option is to use the existing outlets. Yes, it will be a minor problem if the GFCI outlet shuts off due to a ground fault but the only problem will be that the Aqua Rite will not turn on when the timer turns on the pump. I will need to check daily to make sure that it is receiving power.

Since I am not an electrician, I was looking for validation that connecting a standard electrical cord and plug to the unit will be OK. I was 90% sure it would be but I thought the friendly, helpful people at this forum would help give me that extra 10% of confidence.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/members/12859-jblizzle

No worries :cheers:

Given the limitations ...

IMO, it would be better to hardwire the SWG power to the back of the GFCI outlet (either on the protected or non-protected side) using the proper conduit and wire connected to the electrical box (which would follow the letter of the manufacturers recommendation) than to attach a plug on a cord.

I too inherited a pool where things were put together in what would kindly be described as a less than "optimal" way and had to replace the exact same SWGC. Just ask yourself, "Is this the right way to do it?" and go from there. Yes, you can do it with an electrical cord by moving the jumpers inside the unit and sealing up the cord entry point. Would you want to buy a home where the prior owner did it that way? It should be hard wired through conduit. That's not what you want to hear but it's the right way to do it. Sorry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.