How to plugg Intex Ultra Frame lower suction ports?

Apr 4, 2015
Western, WA
Hello,

I have an Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48" that has two of these suction ports on the side. I do not use them anymore because I installed a Hayward skimmer. Currently, I still have the flex hoses coming from these ports to a valve to keep things shut off/leaking. Is there a way to plug/close these ports with some sort of fitting that makes them non-intrusive on the inside? Currently I have the water level just below these suction lines for winter. But I'd like to remove their suction screens and plug them somehow on the outside of the pool. Any tips?

I am not sure how you could plug them and make them almost disappear. You could always just cap the hoses I think and leave the fittings.
But, I would consider making them additional returns with a little re-plumbing.

Ditto jb's idea. I added a Hayward skimmer but left the OE inlet functional. I believe I used a ball valve to be able to limit the flow from this inlet. I like the idea of pulling from under the surface of the water. If it's not floating chances are the skimmer won't remove it. I'd love a bottom drain like a "real" pool has but in place of that I like having a side inlet. Heck. It's already there. This is assuming you have a decent sized pump/filter which will draw properly with 2 inlets. I'm not familiar with the Intex pump/filter as to does it flow close to rated flow.

Minor clarification to the Chief ... I meant make the old suction ports into return jets which return the water back to the pool. That is the typical pool terminology ... suction (from the pool) and return (to the pool).

I see. I still like my dual inlet set up for the reasons above. Good idea for the conversion to outlet jets. Just make sure the "new" jets are not blowing debris away from the skimmer which if using eyeball style should be easy to ensure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.