EasyTouch 4 Question

Kit

Bronze Supporter
Mar 10, 2016
Medford, Oregon
Whenever I press the Filter Pump (F) button on the outdoor EasyTouch control panel, the IntelliFlo Variable-Speed pump turns on (as well as the heater, if the water temp is below the set temp). I noticed, however, that the pump will automatically shut off after one hour. This seems contrary to the owner's manual which indicates that the pump will automatically turn off in 12 hours (factory default). Since I have the Egg Timer feature set for 1 hour, is it possible that the Egg Timer is regulating this function? I cannot seem to find any indication of this.

Thank you for any help.

Kit

That sounds like that is what is happening. Why are you pushing the F button. Don't you have a schedule set up?

Yes, I do have a schedule. However, during those times when the pump & heater are not scheduled to run & I want to soak in the waters (I have a spa only), I assumed that I would press the F button to bring the water up to the set temp prior to jumping in. Is there a preferable way? Thanks.

Kit

I responded in your other thread. I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing but its kind of like having a Ferrari and and never pushing it above an idle. The F circuit is designed to be a schedule for general filtration and chlorine production with a SWG. This is normally at a low speed for energy conservation. When using the spa, a feature circuit should be used so the speed ramps up, the heater activates and you get air venturied into the jet nozzles.

Not doing it this way is not problematic but you have a sophistic piece of equipment and are not using it anywhere near its potential or to your convenience.

Brian: your point is well-taken. Since the SWG won't be activated until next week, I will bring up the question regarding the F button.

By using the F button a half hour prior to getting into the spa, the temp easily reaches the set temp. The SpaSide controls then allow me to ramp up the pump speed for low-speed & high-speed jets, as well as to activate the blower. So it seems like I am effectively achieving what you are suggesting, albeit a bit differently. However, thinbs might change when the SWG is activated.

I appreciate your input since I have a lot to learn. Thank you.

Kit

Why not just put the Easytouch in spa mode? If you don't have a remote, you're pushing the "V" button in the panel to put it into spa mode. Typically once to "wake up" the screen, then again to initiate spa mode. Spa mode should have a speed and temperature assigned to it.

Why not just put the Easytouch in spa mode? If you don't have a remote, you're pushing the "V" button in the panel to put it into spa mode. Typically once to "wake up" the screen, then again to initiate spa mode. Spa mode should have a speed and temperature assigned to it.

When the pool contractor set up the Easy Touch, he said that programming the spa in the Pool mode enabled more options. (Remember that I do not have a pool; only a spa). So unless there is some compelling to do otherwise, the present set-up seems fine.

However, let me go back to my original concern. The owner's manual indicates that the pump will automatically turn off in 12 hours (factory default) after the F button is pressed. However, the pump automatically shuts off in 1 hour. Since I have the Egg Timer feature set for 1 hour, it seems that the Egg Timer is regulating this function. But I cannot seem to find any indication of this.Any thoughts where I might look? Thank you.

Kit

You are using the EasyTouch in a manner that it's not intended to be used and will always have some sort of undesirable side effect as a result.

Setting up a spa feature as has been recommended will solve your issue. What is the hesitation?

You are using the EasyTouch in a manner that it's not intended to be used and will always have some sort of undesirable side effect as a result.

Setting up a spa feature as has been recommended will solve your issue. What is the hesitation?

Forgive my ignorance. But I am feeling trapped between the pool contractor who set up the EasyTouch (& seemed quite knowledgeable) & the responses I am getting in this forum (which I respect). I certainly do not expect anyone here to walk me through setting up the spa in Spa mode. However, it would be a great benefit to me to be able to pose specific questions to the pool contractor when I see him in a week. So if I can beg your indulgence to answer a very remedial question, I will be able to have a more informed conversation with the contractor. I have already perused the owner's manual which offers little guidance.

1. Since I only have an in-ground spa, what specific functional differences would it make whether the EasyTouch is programmed in Spa or Pool mode? What specific undesirable side effects are you referring to?

Thank you for your patience.

Kit

Do you have the pool/spa EasyTouch or the single body version? Do you have any valve actuators? What circuit activates when you push the F (filter pump) button, pool or spa? Do you keep the spa heated 24/7 or only when you want to use it?

These questions will very much dictate how you set up your ET

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brian,

To answer your questions...

1. I have the EasyTouch 4 Pool & Spa Control System.
2. I do not believe that I have any valve actuators since I don't have solar heating, water features or other peripherals. In the Settings > Values > Setup Valves menu, vales A & B are set up as None. I hope this answers your question.
3. When the F button is pushed, the POOL circuit is activated.
4. The spa is currently heated for 4 hours daily during the time that the pump is scheduled to run. I assume that the pump run time might be changed when the SWG is activated next week.

Thanks, Brian.

Kit

Being that you have the pool/spa combo is a very good thing. The POOL circuit should be viewed as your general filtration and SWG chlorine production circuit. Set this circuit for a run time that is convenient for you and somewhat outside of your typical spa usage (not critical). The speed should be as low as possible to allow the SWG to operate while keeping the flow switch happy which will probably be around 1700 rpm (+or - on your plumbing set up).

To set up a SPA circuit: got to Menu>Settings> Circuit Names> Assign an unnamed circuit as SPA, return to Menu.
Go to Menu>Settings, Circuit Functions>Scroll to SPA, assign function to SPA and default heater to ON position.
Go to Settings>Intelliflo>Speeds>Spa. set at desired RPM (ie:3000)
Go to Settings>Intelliflo>Speeds>Pool> set at desired speed (ie:1700)
Go to Settings>Schedules>Pool> select runtime you desire (2 hours is probably plenty).

Set the desired temperature for the spa circuit so when in SPA mode, the heater is both activated and tops out at the set temp.

When you want to use the Spa, push the V (Valves) button to activate the spa. When done, push the V (valves) button to return to POOL (or AUTO mode if not on POOL schedule) to return to normal. No egg timer is required (i'm not a fan of anyway).

Now go to Sunplay.com or Polytechpools.com and purchase ScreenLogic 2 (P/N 522104) and make your life and programming much easier.

Brian,

Now, this makes a lot of sense to a newbie like me! Thank you for the clarification. It will be interesting to run your set-up recommendations by my pool contractor for his thoughts. BTW, the pool contractor did suggest ScreenLogic 2 as well. I will look into it.

One follow-up question: Rather than pushing the V button whenever I want to use the spa, can I simply assign one of the buttons on the Spa Side controller to activate both the pump & the heater whenever I want to use the spa?

Thanks, Brian. You have been a great help.

Kit

Yes, you can program the 4 button controller to operate anything you'd like. If you had ScreenLogic, all of this could be done on your computer and is much easier to set up. Every pool function could then be run through a cell phone or tablet.

Brian: As promised, I wanted to give you an update on setting up my Easy Touch panel. I advised the spa contractor that I wanted to reconfigure the ET as per your recommendations (with a few minor modifications). He concurred. So with him looking over my shoulder, I reprogrammed the ET with separate POOL & SPA circuits. Piece of cake. And makes intuitive sense. So, all is good with the world. Thank you again for your assistance.

Kit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.