Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to Taylor Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Taylor Test Kit

Hi all

Newbie pool owner, and even newbier taylor kit owner...technically I don't even have one yet. But I will shortly, for the start of the pool season (ling story, but short one is I am Canadian, and only just managed to find one while traveling in FLA for spring break)....

So...having looked at the kit I can honestly say I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with feelings of not sure what to do first, or where to start...

What should I be looking for, and what do I need to do first? I assume I need to get a good handle on my CYA readings before doing anything with regards to Chlorine, pH, etc.

The pool was run all last year with no apparent issues - while I say that, it is only based on test strip readings and trusting the PB...we closed the pool properly, and in a few weeks will be opening again...as you can tell from the vagueness of my question, I don't even know the right question to ask!!!

Thanks for any and all tips, tricks and pointers from those who know waaaayyyy more about this stuff than I ever will!

Cheers from chilly Canada

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to Taylor Test Kit

Do you know which kit you got? Something like K-2005 or K-2006? Either way, Taylor is excellent with color coded bottles caps and instructions and the instructions will likely be affixed to the underside of the lid.

You can also check out THIS LINK to the Taylor Technology videos! Once there, click on the pool/spa link......

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought from leslies, and it is 49.99. Seems to cover all the readings. Will have to double check which "K" it is...

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

4. Back To Top    #4

If it was from Leslies, it may not contain the FAS-DPD (R-0870 powder & R-0871 drops) for higher and accurate FC testing If not, you'll still need to order that separately. If you can't order it from TFTestkits.com, perhaps some of your fellow neighbors up north may have a good source.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

So...don't buy the kit?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Of course, your first stop is in Pool School...."The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" . Make sure you understand what you are testing for and why you are testing.

Then, post up the kit you have it may have some limitations.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Will do. Thanks.
    Tom

8. Back To Top    #8

And don't let it intimate you. I have the K2006...as I've said often when I got my kit I opened it up and cried I was so intimidated..that lasted a day or so. Watched a couple of videos and reached out here now my family calls me their mad scientist. You won't be sorry!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

9. Back To Top    #9

Ha! Thanks for the vote pf confidence!

10. Back To Top    #10

I ordered my test kit BEFORE I ordered the pool! I was SO worried I would not be able to do it. It IS easy! There are videos and US to help you out.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

What they all said, it sounds like the kit you bought is the Leslie's version of the K-2005 which only has the DPD color matching chlorine test, not the suggested K-2006 with the drop counting FAS-DPD chlorine test. Other than that one test the K-2005 and K-2006 are identical, so if you already have it you can potentially buy just the FAS-DPD test, and not a complete test kit, if you do have to order it, I would suggest ordering some extra CYA reagent at the same time as not much is included in either the K-2005A or K-2006A kits (A is the size range). Of course Leslies almost always tells people the K-2005 and K-2006 test kits are the same, this is a blatant lie.

Ike

p.s. we have also had numerous members walk into Leslies ask specifically for the K-2006 and be sold a K-2005
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

If you already bought the non-FAS-DPD kit, you can supplement with the K-1515C kit. If not, you can save some bucks by getting a TFtestkits 100xl or the K-2006C online.

13. Back To Top    #13

taylor makes excellent products. you won't be disappointed.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for the replies and encouragement fellow TFPers...will keep you posted!