Testing Fill Water

WyattEarp

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2015
Mandeville, LA
In anticipation of actually being able to fill my new pool I tested (with my TF 100) my tap water today to see where I will be starting from. Here are the results.

Chlorine .05-1
PH 8.2+ (quite a bit brighter pink than the scale)
Calcium Hardness 0 (was blue before adding third reagent)
Tatal Alkalinity 200

So Where does this put me? I imagine the calcium hardness and PH will change a bit once the water is in the pool and reacting with the plaster etc.

Doublecheck that CH test. There are three reagents, not two. If it was sky blue before you added the third, then you have exceptionally soft water and you'll need to add some Calcium. Actually, the builder will. But doublecheck that test.

As you fill and get things circulating, you'll likely find pH will climb even more, not that you'll be able to tell if you're already off the scale. Expect to need a whole lot of acid.

That being said, you won't be able to do a whole lot in the beginning because typically the builder does the initial balancing and anything you do beyond that might be enough cause for the builder to void the warranty.

The CH test was right. I mistyped. It was blue immediately after the second reagent. Didn't add the third. Our water is very soft.

My builder has been great. I expect they will get things in balance and turn over a pretty descently balanced pool after the first month. That being said I will still be testing and logging results from day 1.

WyattEarp, you may have already seen THIS PAGE. As Richard already mentioned, you'll follow your builder's guidance for the break-in period. But some folks find this info nice to have in the back pocket as "FYI". As for the soft water ....... I have to ask a silly question because it's happened before ....... the soft water you tested. No chance the water source was tied-in from a water softener was it? Like I said, I only ask because it's happened before. :) :brickwall:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.