Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing Fill Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing Fill Water

In anticipation of actually being able to fill my new pool I tested (with my TF 100) my tap water today to see where I will be starting from. Here are the results.

Chlorine .05-1
    PH 8.2+ (quite a bit brighter pink than the scale)
    Calcium Hardness 0 (was blue before adding third reagent)
    Tatal Alkalinity 200

So Where does this put me? I imagine the calcium hardness and PH will change a bit once the water is in the pool and reacting with the plaster etc.
    Completed April 2016: 22x36 3.5-5.5-4 Inground, 17,500 gallons, Aquapure SWG, Jandy 2hp Variable Speed, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280, Aqualink PDA4, Jandy Nichless LED lights, Diamondbrite color Steel Blue, Noche Travertine Coping & Deck

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing Fill Water

Doublecheck that CH test. There are three reagents, not two. If it was sky blue before you added the third, then you have exceptionally soft water and you'll need to add some Calcium. Actually, the builder will. But doublecheck that test.

As you fill and get things circulating, you'll likely find pH will climb even more, not that you'll be able to tell if you're already off the scale. Expect to need a whole lot of acid.

That being said, you won't be able to do a whole lot in the beginning because typically the builder does the initial balancing and anything you do beyond that might be enough cause for the builder to void the warranty.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The CH test was right. I mistyped. It was blue immediately after the second reagent. Didn't add the third. Our water is very soft.

My builder has been great. I expect they will get things in balance and turn over a pretty descently balanced pool after the first month. That being said I will still be testing and logging results from day 1.
    Completed April 2016: 22x36 3.5-5.5-4 Inground, 17,500 gallons, Aquapure SWG, Jandy 2hp Variable Speed, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280, Aqualink PDA4, Jandy Nichless LED lights, Diamondbrite color Steel Blue, Noche Travertine Coping & Deck

4. Back To Top    #4

WyattEarp, you may have already seen THIS PAGE. As Richard already mentioned, you'll follow your builder's guidance for the break-in period. But some folks find this info nice to have in the back pocket as "FYI". As for the soft water ....... I have to ask a silly question because it's happened before ....... the soft water you tested. No chance the water source was tied-in from a water softener was it? Like I said, I only ask because it's happened before.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have read the page on break-in thanks. And no water softener at the house but thanks for the warning.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not surprised to hear about water that soft in LA. Having it gives you the possibly nice option of using Cal-Hypo for a Chlorine source which you might want to explore.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem