Question on replacing the light

errorz

Oct 6, 2015
Phx, AZ
Recently bought a house with a 13 year old pool in it. Light was out. Went ahead and got a new gasket/bulb and installed it appropriately and now, 2 weeks later, it has 2" of water in it. I am thinking perhaps the light is leaking from the back of the unit. I may pull it out and empty/dry the unit and try to silicone seal the rear (temp fix) but I have a question as to how lights are installed in the first place.

The niche is obviously placed in the pool during the building process. Do they then install/burry a ~1" piece of conduit to the power source (the metal rod that comes out into a small junction box which branches to the a)switch and b)gfci (which has power).

Obviously am not expecting much from throwing a bunch of silicone sealant to the rear of my current light fixture where the wire comes in. When the time comes when finances allow and I purchase a new light (w/ wire) is it literally a matter of disconnecting old wire, feeding a rope as I pull it out, then pulling the new wire back through and reconnecting to the junction box? From what I can tell, it appears this is how it works... I just want to make sure prior to cutting wires/etc.

Thank you, as always.... From a new pool owner, your help is soooo appreciated.

that is exactly how to do it...

I would disconnect the light so no power can get to it.. with 2 inches of water, its probably already bad/blown.

As usual with pool electrical up is down and down is up. The NEC assumes that the conduit from the light niche to the light junction box will be wet. It assumes you will enter the water to remove the light fixture and place it on the deck. The light fixture must have sufficient cord to be placed on the deck for servicing.

While I do not have a picture, the usual reason for leaking in light fixtures is improper replacement of the gasket not leaking through the rear. From the standpoint of the electrical code the rear seal is unservicable, if compromised the fixture should be replaced.

I would remove your light fixture and go back through the process and replace the gasket again. There are several videos on youtube that go thru the process -- watch a few and try it again.

You have the basic process for fixture replacement. Again watch several you tube videos.

I went ahead and pulled it out... Verified the seal is clean and the gasket is brand new... Sealed it up and tightened it down again... Still leaking. Again very small (1-2"). Bulb is fine as it was never turned on while wet. I will try to flip the gasket around (though I've read it seals either way) and try again. It is the "ring w/ ~6 hooks" type closure.

IMO, save yourself the stress and headache of chasing that leak and get a new fixture. Those lights with the dog ears that hold them together are an older style and it is probably original to the pool. Light cords/cord seals break down and crack from sitting in chlorine water their whole life.

If you can hold the fixture underwater for a couple minutes and no bubbles are coming from around the ring, you have more than likely installed the gasket correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.