Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why our heads are about to explode....

1. Back To Top    #1

Why our heads are about to explode....

My wife and I are walking around with pounding headaches.... and I just got graphic evidence as to why......

This morning, I looked into the skimmer and there didn't appear to be any water moving. I had the immediate "Oh, no, the pump", thought, then noticed the skimmer sock had turned an off-yellow color. I had to turn the pump off to remove the basket and found a 1/32-1/16 layer of pollen that had built up over a period of 24 hours. There was clearly a thick yellow "oil slick" on the pool yesterday, but I had no idea.... even though we have been vacuuming pollen sediment for a week or more.

I think this is the worst pollen season, ever....

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Why our heads are about to explode....

Here in OK it is the worst I have ever seen, Just had to get a Z pack for the first time ever because I could hardly breath... Its so bad my allergy medicine won't even work, I am having to take the old standby Benadryl... Just crazy this early in the season...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I walked out and just THOUGHT I had a red car...............it is YELLOW! So thick I had to spray the windshield to help clear it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a yellow cat for sale. Washed----she's normally jet black!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

as billy crystal would say, "i hate it when this happens!"

6. Back To Top    #6

What a misleading title. I just assumed the neighbors were playing their Slim Whitman album too loud.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Climate change?

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

8. Back To Top    #8

What's the TFP party-line on this.....do we blame all the extra pollen on global warming? Is this a sign of the apacolypse? Or is it all Obama's fault?
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

9. Back To Top    #9

Blaming Obama sounds good but I think it's from a mild winter. Water temp still 58 ish so I'm debating weather to suffer the pollen and take the cover off.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    What a misleading title. I just assumed the neighbors were playing their Slim Whitman album too loud.

11. Back To Top    #11

Its Bush's fault.

Actually, I though last year was worse.

Strange winter here in NC for sure.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by smforte View Post
    Blaming Obama sounds good but I think it's from a mild winter. Water temp still 58 ish so I'm debating weather to suffer the pollen and take the cover off.
    I'm going with global warming. We had nearly no winter..... some plants actually bloomed all winter; I've never seen that before. Virtually everything was budding out at the end of January. We've had one day below freezing since December 1 and I was never really able to close the pool, since the water temperature has only been below 60 degrees 17 days in the same period. In past years, frosts and snow wouldn't have been unusual, through the first week, or so, in April.

High today of 78 and pool temp is 74-75 degrees.

Yellow haze back on surface of pool.... I'm dumping the skimmer sock twice today....

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok Ok Richard I'll turn down the Slim Whitman but my daughters into Pentatonx so I have no control over that.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

14. Back To Top    #14

I do enjoy the nice winter we've had here in NC.

While I usually wait for the yellow snow season to end before opening up our pool; this year I"ll be doing it early probably next week, fire up the heat-pump, and let my allergies suffer through it for a bit.
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

We just a yellow ring on pool tiles. I had to hand scrub it off. My fam n neighbors are breathing n sneezing n coughing for the first time from allergies. I blame GMOS.