Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Motorized Valve Actuator - Technical Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Motorized Valve Actuator - Technical Question

Is it possible to control a Pentair 2 way Valve Actuator directly without a control system by applying a specific voltage to the pigtail connector to get a full close or full open? If so does the voltage stay constant to keep a position?

Thank you!
    15,282 Gallon, Pentair Intelliflo 3HP, Pentair CC150 Filter, Pentair 320 Chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Motorized Valve Actuator - Technical Question

Yes. There are 3 wires. One is "ground". If you apply 24 volts to one wire the actuator turns in one direction until the internal adjustable switch breaks the circuit and stops it. Apply power to the other wire and it turns the opposite direction.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I want to add a motorized valve to my Pentair 2 way manual valve that controls my pool overflow. I can run a wire from my Easytouch 8 to the motorized valve and use the extra ET8 valve actuator connection. My question is how would I operate it on my Pentair wireless remote control?
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to be clear, Jason is applying 24 Volts AC, not DC.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by rphpool View Post
    I am thinking of doing the same thing. I want to add a motorized valve to my Pentair 2 way manual valve that controls my pool overflow. I can run a wire from my Easytouch 8 to the motorized valve and use the extra ET8 valve actuator connection. My question is how would I operate it on my Pentair wireless remote control?
    Simply set up a feature circuit called "Overflow" and assign that valve actuator to the Overflow Circuit - either A or B. If you already have 4 actuators in use (suction/return and 2 others) there is a way to use an Aux circuit to power a 5th actuator that I can describe if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Advancetec View Post
    Is it possible to control a Pentair 2 way Valve Actuator directly without a control system by applying a specific voltage to the pigtail connector to get a full close or full open? If so does the voltage stay constant to keep a position?

Thank you!

The actuators work on the same premise that a 3-way switch operates. One "leg" always has power to it. To get the actuator to move in the opposite direction, the power is switched to the opposite "leg". The limit switches in the actuator disconnect the current from the motor once the desired position is reached.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Brian that is what I thought. I should be able to use "B"
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Yes. There are 3 wires. One is "ground". If you apply 24 volts to one wire the actuator turns in one direction until the internal adjustable switch breaks the circuit and stops it. Apply power to the other wire and it turns the opposite direction.
    Thank you very much! I Plan on automating 1 valve to control my deck jets. I have a Zwave home automation system I can control via app on my phone. I will add a Zwave controlled outlet, a relay, 12vdc Power Supply to plug into the Zwave outlet and trigger the relay and a 24vac Xformer. With your info I will be able to automate my deck jets on a budget. Thank you!
    15,282 Gallon, Pentair Intelliflo 3HP, Pentair CC150 Filter, Pentair 320 Chlorinator.