Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Frog Inline Bromine cartridge or Spa Frog @ease inline chlorine release cartridge

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Frog Inline Bromine cartridge or Spa Frog @ease inline chlorine release cartridge

Trying to decide which way to go on a new caldera spa that has the inline cartridge option for spa frog .

Spa frog is releasing a new inline cartridge though in a few weeks that is chlorine based instead of bromine.

The chlorine one seems more appealing as it will automatically keep the 1.0-2.00 ppm of chlorine through some sort of "smart" release

The spa frog bromine cartridges are also available but require trying to dial in the settings etc.

Which way should I go here? bromine or chlorine?

Thanks
    20x40 in ground free form kidney with bump outs, Omnilogic Automation, Turbo Cell 15, Hayward VSP, DE filter. Aquacal Super Quiet Heat Pump SQ175. 6 Pentair Magic Stream Laminar Jets powered by dedicated Hayward VSP pump with cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa Frog Inline Bromine cartridge or Spa Frog @ease inline chlorine release cartr

spa frog isn't recommended here at TFP. The mineral based portion can't be tested for to see if it is working, and doesn't do anything that chlorine/bromine can't do better.

The other bromine cartridge could be used I suppose, but I can't help but think that it would be a waste of money, as a bromine bank can be established as an all in one addition.

Perhaps you could establish a bromine bank, then use a spa frog cartridge with just chlorine in it as an oxidizer for sanitation.

You still need to test regularly for free chlorine/bromine, and chlorine will be needed after spa use. The cartridge would be to supply sanitation on days when the spa isn't in use.

In my opinion, the Spa Frog is a distraction from what is important in spa sanitation, and is a waste of your time and money.

As for whether to use chlorine, or use bromine, I'll just say that a chlorine system is easily converted to bromine, but going back the other way requires water replacement. I use chlorine, but many folks use bromine, and do well with it in spas. It's up to you.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Spa Frog Inline Bromine cartridge or Spa Frog @ease inline chlorine release cartr

I have The Caldera kuai.
    and i use also a mineral frog capsule , not The bromine that is forbidden in The netherlands.
    but is the mineral frog NOT recommended?????
    My spa is 225 gallon (ca 900 ltr)
    Factory is Caldera
    Above ground
    6 months old now.

4. Back To Top    #4

<<The cartridge would be to supply sanitation on days when the spa isn't in use.>>

This is the reason I'm thinking of using the @ease system, and during the winter when I may not get out there each day like I do when the weather is warmer. At least I can be assured that a basic sanitary level of chlorine will be available to keep the spa good until I use it again. I'm thinking it will be especially good when I go away for 1 week or so.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin45 View Post
    I have The Caldera kuai.
    and i use also a mineral frog capsule , not The bromine that is forbidden in The netherlands.
    As you know, TFP frowns on anything that isn't really needed. So the mineral part of the frog is not recommended. Depending on what is in there it could be adding to issues and you wouldn't know it.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin45 View Post
    I have The Caldera kuai.
    As Bob pointed out, TFP generally frowns on the Frog mineral systems. In pool applications the "minerals" in the system can slowly build up over time to the point that staining of the pool may be an issue.

Now, you are using it in a spa which generally should have the water replaced 3 or 4 times a year. In this application the minerals will not build up to the point of staining, but there is another downside. The minerals are very good at killing/preventing algae but do noting for pathogens that can allow human to human transmission of Bacteria or Virus. Should the chlorine become depleted the metals will continue to kill the algae, but the really bad stuff can be there unseen. You can liken the algae to the canary in a coal mine. If you are using chlorine and there is no algae then you can be reasonably assured that the really bad stuff is not there also. Add metals/minerals and the algae may be missing, but you are unsure of the bad stuff.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    As Bob pointed out, TFP generally frowns on the Frog mineral systems. In pool applications the "minerals" in the system can slowly build up over time to the point that staining of the pool may be an issue.
    Now, you are using it in a spa which generally should have the water replaced 3 or 4 times a year. In this application the minerals will not build up to the point of staining,
    I'm new to the Hot Tub scene and have been learning about all the chemicals, water balance, etc. I like the Dichlor/Bleach method and will probably use this in the future. However, I did like the idea of the frog system (not because of the minerals) because of the ability to have it taking care of my tub while I am away for 1-2 weeks at a time, keeping the chlorine levels up to a point of taking care of the "bad guys." Are there other ways of taking care of this 1-2 week absence?? It seems other methods require a daily or at least every 2-3 day constant contact with the tub.

8. Back To Top    #8

You can use a floater and trichlor tabs. A 3" tab takes a long time to disolve. This will add CYA to you tub, test FC based on CYA in pool school. I don't worry about CYA levels building up because water will be dumped in 3-4 months.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by banditig View Post
    You can use a floater and trichlor tabs. A 3" tab takes a long time to disolve. This will add CYA to you tub, test FC based on CYA in pool school. I don't worry about CYA levels building up because water will be dumped in 3-4 months.
    I had read somewhere else that I shouldn't use trichlor in a spa? Is this another of those things that is debated among the hot tub community? I've been reading a lot widely trying to learn as much as possible. I appreciate the help!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Redterpos3 View Post
    I had read somewhere else that I shouldn't use trichlor in a spa? Is this another of those things that is debated among the hot tub community? I've been reading a lot widely trying to learn as much as possible. I appreciate the help!
    Thats true if you use bromine. Its ok if you use dichlor - bleach methood.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by banditig View Post
    Thats true if you use bromine. Its ok if you use dichlor - bleach methood.
    Thanks, that's helpful, I didn't realize that!