Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Windmill or Florida Sabal Palm for Dallas

1. Back To Top    #1

Windmill or Florida Sabal Palm for Dallas

Both are cold hardy for our zone (8) but does anyone have local experience with either? My fear is dropping money into a plant and having it die over the winter. Both seem to otherwise be similar in growth rate, sun exposure, fruit, etc
    Fiberglass pool 5300 gallons (trilogy eclipse)
    inground
    Cartridge filter
    2HP hayward ecostar sp3400vsp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Windmill or Florida Sabal Palm for Dallas

I have two Windmills here in Louisiana (we are on the I20 corridor, so we are very close to you) and they have done great.
    Louisiana - 19,000 gal, Free form Gunite / Quartz Plaster, Flagstone Waterfall, Cartridge Filter, 1.5hp Hayward Pump, additional pump for waterfall. - Just purchased the Taylor K2006-C Test Kit based on feedback

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tnmasterplan View Post
    I have two Windmills here in Louisiana (we are on the I20 corridor, so we are very close to you) and they have done great.
    Thanks. Windmills are nice, grow to about the right height for my yard, and aren't overly expensive (compared to some others)
    inground
    Cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Meaty,
    Im 120 miles East of Dallas so our weather is about the same. My neighbor has 2 windmills and I have a couple of friends that also have windmill palms.
    They have been there for several years and are doing great.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Hi Meaty,
    Im 120 miles East of Dallas so our weather is about the same. My neighbor has 2 windmills and I have a couple of friends that also have windmill palms.
    They have been there for several years and are doing great.
    Thanks. The combined responses make me feel better about going for it
    inground
    Cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

You might look into a pindo palm as well. Heck.............I've taken a broom and swept snow and ice off mine! 100 miles dead East of you.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

We have windmills and we are just south of Fort Worth.

21,000 gallons, Salt, IG Gunite, Plaster Finish, Free From, Pentair FNS DE cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo-VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40, 2 port fountains, bubbler in tanning deck, Dolphin M400, TF-100, K-1766, Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the replies. Bought 2 four foot windmills today. Will be planted on Tuesday
    inground
    Cartridge filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Hope you are happy with your windmills. We have 2 along with a pindo palm and a needle palm. All have been growing well for us. We are just north of Lake Lewisville.
    BTW I have seen a huge and very healthy sabal palm in Dallas. I have some young sabal palms from it.
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

10. Back To Top    #10

How often do you guys water your palms? Mine get 20 minutes 3 times a week from drip irrigation. They've gotten some brown tips since they were installed.

21,000 gallons, Salt, IG Gunite, Plaster Finish, Free From, Pentair FNS DE cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo-VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40, 2 port fountains, bubbler in tanning deck, Dolphin M400, TF-100, K-1766, Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

In addition to water, the next best thing you can do for your palms is to fertilize them with a 07-00-09 fertilizer and add Seahume as well. I use the following schedule and amounts:

4th week of March
    07-00-09 2 pounds
    Seahume 1 Cup

4th week of April
    07-00-09 2 pounds
    Seahume 1 Cup

3rd week of July
    07-00-09 2 pounds

1st week of September
    07-00-09 2 pounds
    Seahume 1 Cup

You may need to adjust for your climate, but it does wonders for my palms.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

12. Back To Top    #12

What is seahume and where do you buy it,thanks
    27' Swim n Play Mystic II 52" Extruded Resin 17,200 gallons
    Hayward E series high rate sand pump
    Hayward wide mouth skimmer
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

13. Back To Top    #13

Closest thing I've found so far to a palm fertilizer. I'm going to go to the plant store tomorrow.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by gillsgonewild View Post
    What is seahume and where do you buy it,thanks
    Here is a link to what Seahume is Horticulture Hotline: SeaHume I buy mine at a local store that specializes in horticulture. I am sure one of your local garden centers would have it. The numbers of the fertilizer are important. They correspond to Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), and Potassium (K) ratios. The one pictured above is pretty close if you can't find exactly 07-00-09.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC