First-time Pool Owner -- Need to Resurface Pool

Hello all!

My husband and I just bought/moved into our new home which has a pool (details in signature). While the bones and plumbing/mechanics of the pool are all in great working order, the plaster is 20 years old, and is in desperate need of replacing. I've been doing research on materials, and we definitely want to bypass plaster this time and go with a material that is resilient and will last at least 15 years. I've been looking into PebbleTec/PebbleSheen, and was wondering if anyone can offer any tips and experiences they've had with these materials or other similar materials?

Many thanks!

-Rach

Hi Rach,
Pebbletec, pebblesheen, quartz and the other upgraded surfaces contain plaster. The pebbles etc, are mixed into it.

The longeviety and how nice it stays, is enterely dependent upon how well the chemistry of the water is maintained. Too high CH and pH and any of the plaster surfaces will get calcium scaling. Too low and it will etch away.

Initially upon being installed, the experience of the installation crew will have the largest effect on the appearance. Everything from mixing, applying and starting up the new surface, whether regular plaster or any of the high end mixes are subject to come out outstanding, or not so much outstanding, depending on the installation of it.

So, during your search for a new pool surface, its not only the type of surface that you have to consider, but also who is it and how much experience do they have installing a particular type. It will pay for you to do your homework ahead of time, so that you know what questonst to ask.

With that said, Im sure a lot of folks will chime in with comments on particular types of surfaces that they have.....

Pebbletec makes an outstanding product and only allows certified installers to install it. Pebbletec will also back up your warranty even if the PB won't. Pebbletec is a leader in the industry. Pebble pool products should easily last 15 years and are said to last 25+ years. With proper water chemistry management as Dave said.

Thanks for the advice, folks. We are the type of people who stay on top of things, such as maintenance, so we will definitely be sure to keep the chemical balances in check. Especially if it means extending the life of our pool.

I've been doing homework on the pebble materials and have arranged a builder (PebbleTec certified) to come out in a couple of weeks to not only look at our pool and take measurements, but to bring us some samples so that we can see and feel them. I'll be sure to ask them how long they've been installing these products. Their reviews online are favorable.

Much appreciated!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.