Is this kit OK?

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
I found a Taylor kit at local pool store. But not sure if it will do what I need it to do. I don't want to open it as then I can't return it if it's not right. It's in a blue plastic tackle box-type container This is what's on the outside label...

Taylor...Service Complete (high) K-20005c

DPD chlorine (.5-5), DPD Bromine (1-10), pH with acid and base demand, Total Alkal., Ca hardness, CYA.

The pool guy said this is what he uses on the commercial pools he handles..

I was ready to purchase the Taylor 100 but have the pool open and wanted to get started asap on getting chems balanced, etc. and didn't want to wait for the order to arrive! But don't want to buy the wrong kit if it's not complete. I paid basically what the Taylor 100 was selling for..

ON a side note...all I have done so far is vacuumed, added some mineral protection and some algecide and couple gallons of bleach. As I am very new to all of this, I would appreciate help with readings once I get things tested. Thanks!

If they'll let you return it, you should. :wink: That's the K2005 and you need at the least the K-2006.

There is this article that explains the kits and how they differ. While the prices are similar, the TF 100 from TFTestkits, not TAylor BTW, has larger reagent sizes for some of the key tests.

The kit you mentioned does not have the FAS-DPD test which is essential for your pool care. FYI, TFTestKits ships out the same day if you order by 2pm, my last kit I received in 2 days, super fast!.

You can get started by having the local pool store test your water. Don't buy anything from them. Also, you really don't need algaecide. It's really unneccessary in a properly maintained pool, it's just a big moneymaker for the pool stores. :rant:

Hope this helps!

Thank you! As I said, I'm a work in progress! It can be returned since it's unopened, so I'll order the other tonight now that I know it won't take long.

I will take a sample to the pool store, but I know they just give very basic readings...what is my main concern at this point in time while waiting for the kit to arrive and get proper readings? CYA, Cl?? It opened to clear water so I hate to mess that up! The weather is still cool....in the 60's for the most part so the water is quite cold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.