New Member, New Pool Owner (Livermore, CA)

Hello, TFP members.

As the topic states, my husband and I are new pool owners. We just bought our first home in the SF/East Bay Area, which has a 13,000K+ pool. I'm hoping this forum will provide some helpful tips!

Our pool is actually in fairly good condition in terms of the bones and mechanics. However, the pool inspection advised that the plaster, which hasn't been done in 20 years, should be stripped within the next year. I'm going to head over to another board to post about that and hopefully get some new information.

Thanks in advance for all of the help I'm sure we with glean from here!

Welcome to all pirates!

Congrats on the new home and pool. Such fun to come! Can you share pics? We loveeeee to see pics of our posting pirates dens <wink!>

How are you testing the water? Have you dabbled your toes into Pool School articles <up at the top right> to learn all about pool chemistry?

Holler if you have any questions.

Hi, YippeeSkippy (lol, love it). Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I've attached one of the images of the pool that as used in the original home listing recently. I hope to get a treasure chest shaped cooler to float around in the pool at some point--someone even suggested a plank to be walked off of the edge, hahaha.

I have been doing a lot of research on pool chemistry and proper pool maintenance. It's a lot to learn, but I'm sure it will be well worth it when the temperatures climb to over 100 degrees this summer.

We have the Taylor pool testing kit and the water was tested about a week ago. All of the levels are within the normal range EXCEPT the CYA, which was incredibly high. The test read 150ppm, and I understand that it could very well be high above that level. I doubt the recent rains helped much. This is another reason why we are wanting to get the pool resurfaced so we can start with a clean slate with the CYA levels, as I understand the only way to permanently bring the CYA levels down was through dilution. And with the drought California is going through, we can't afford to drain our pool more than once!

56a197576b16b1d779000451.jpeg

Oh that is pretty!!! What fun we can have fixing it up for you! LOL

I can't wait to see you over in the "just getting started" part so we can get you going on working on the pool.

pssstt your pool is an in ground pool.

Kim