Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Member, New Pool Owner (Livermore, CA)

1. Back To Top    #1

New Member, New Pool Owner (Livermore, CA)

Hello, TFP members.

As the topic states, my husband and I are new pool owners. We just bought our first home in the SF/East Bay Area, which has a 13,000K+ pool. I'm hoping this forum will provide some helpful tips!

Our pool is actually in fairly good condition in terms of the bones and mechanics. However, the pool inspection advised that the plaster, which hasn't been done in 20 years, should be stripped within the next year. I'm going to head over to another board to post about that and hopefully get some new information.

Thanks in advance for all of the help I'm sure we with glean from here!
    13,500 gallon pool, inground, plaster PebbleSheen installed 04/30/2016. Pentair 4 x 160 Intelliflow pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Member, New Pool Owner (Livermore, CA)

Welcome to all pirates!

Congrats on the new home and pool. Such fun to come! Can you share pics? We loveeeee to see pics of our posting pirates dens <wink!>

How are you testing the water? Have you dabbled your toes into Pool School articles <up at the top right> to learn all about pool chemistry?

Holler if you have any questions.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, YippeeSkippy (lol, love it). Thanks for the warm welcome

I've attached one of the images of the pool that as used in the original home listing recently. I hope to get a treasure chest shaped cooler to float around in the pool at some point--someone even suggested a plank to be walked off of the edge, hahaha.

I have been doing a lot of research on pool chemistry and proper pool maintenance. It's a lot to learn, but I'm sure it will be well worth it when the temperatures climb to over 100 degrees this summer.

We have the Taylor pool testing kit and the water was tested about a week ago. All of the levels are within the normal range EXCEPT the CYA, which was incredibly high. The test read 150ppm, and I understand that it could very well be high above that level. I doubt the recent rains helped much. This is another reason why we are wanting to get the pool resurfaced so we can start with a clean slate with the CYA levels, as I understand the only way to permanently bring the CYA levels down was through dilution. And with the drought California is going through, we can't afford to drain our pool more than once!

56a197576b16b1d779000451.jpeg
    13,500 gallon pool, inground, plaster PebbleSheen installed 04/30/2016. Pentair 4 x 160 Intelliflow pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh that is pretty!!! What fun we can have fixing it up for you! LOL

I can't wait to see you over in the "just getting started" part so we can get you going on working on the pool.

pssstt your pool is an in ground pool.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

ACK, thank you for pointing that out. I swear it was just a typo and not ignorant stupidity on my part--that's what happens when I talk on the phone and type at the same time! I'll be fixing my signature now….

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by arrrghmatey View Post
    ACK, thank you for pointing that out. I swear it was just a typo and not ignorant stupidity on my part--that's what happens when I talk on the phone and type at the same time! I'll be fixing my signature now….
    LOL I thought it was something like that! So you are saying you are human after all???????

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit