Changing Light Niche sealing ring without draining the pool

Aug 18, 2013
South Carolina
Hi. The brass sealing ring (10 hole Amerlite) around my light niche has corroded to the point that the screw hole for attaching the light has dissappeared. I have purchaed a new stainless steel sealing ring and the requisite seal. My quesiton is this...would it be a good idea to attempt changing the sealing ring without draining the pool below the light niche? I've seen some forum posts which have mentioned that it's ok to do so, but i'm a little reluctant, since i'm not sure what the implications are of getting water behind the liner.

I'll do what I have to do, but my pool is a 20 x 40. If I can avoid draining and refilling 9000 gallons of water, I'd like to do so.

Advice?

I dont think you can do it withough draining the water, and draining that much could put your liner at risk.
Even if you liner didnt wrinkle in the shallow end, it very well might leak around the light niche hole. That wouldn't be good either.

If there were any way to put off replacing the ring until time for a new liner, that would be the best thing to do.

If the biggest problem is the screw tab which holds the fixture in, you could try one of the things in the link below. THis is a common problem and this little gadget seems to do the trick.
Pool Tool Light Wedge 132- Light Parts/J-Box- 132- Pool Products- DiscountPoolMart.com

What if there were a leak and the sealing ring were corroded? I have a sealing ring that has corroded away and I have developed a leak. What should I do? Can I replace the sealing ring and gasket without draining or should I drain to below the light level and replace that way? What are the risks involved?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.