Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Boric acid: powder or granule?

1. Back To Top    #1

Boric acid: powder or granule?

Hi all,

I wanted to add boric acid to our pool this year and saw that Duda Diesel has two forms. Any preference between the powder and the granular form? I assume the powder would dissolve more readily, but just checking.

Thanks!

Jay
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Boric acid: powder or granule?

Granular. The powder is so fine it will float on the surface and be a chore to mix in.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    Granular. The powder is so fine it will float on the surface and be a chore to mix in.
    Brilliant! Exactly the information I needed. Makes so much sense. Thank you!
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

For other borate users, anything else I need to be aware of? Is there a reason why everyone aims for 50 ppm? Any pros or cons to going higher or lower? Not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I am always curious about whether there is empirical data to back these numbers up. Obviously, 50 ppm works and I haven't heard of any unhappy converts to borate. Any reasons that I will regret it?
    Jay--Metro NYC

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

No regrets. There is concern that higher levels could pose a health risk but that mainly pertains to animals. There really isn't much benefit to levels higher than 50
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page