Buried Pool Cooler / Warmer

Feb 14, 2015
Chapin SC
Has anyone tried this? put a valve inline after the pump that allows water to be diverted to a setup underground meant to cool the water in the summer and warm it in the early spring. Being a caver I know that underground temps are pretty consistently the annual average temp. Here in the southeast that means 72 degrees or so which is cold enough to cool water or warm enough to warm. My thoughts were to dig a 5'x5'x5' square. Use PVC pipe to build a mini radiator that just uses 180 degree elbows like crazy to build as dense a pipe setup as possible in that 5x5x5 space. Fill with sand and cover with grass. Water be switched between bypassing this or not. PVC is probably not the best choice for conducting temps but I'm a bit fearful about using something metal due to rust. Salt pool.

I don't know where you got your figures, but my guess is you'll have a VERY cool pool.... more like 64 degrees. I don't think you will be very pleased with the thermal conductivity of plastic pipe, either....

I have roughly the same idea installed (in northern piedmont, NC), using a water source heat pump and well.... water temps are more like 59 degrees, year round.... but it heats and cools the house.

You may want to dig back about 35 years, to the Annual Cycle Energy System (ACES) research. There should be some data there to help you....

The conductivity of plastic pipes will not be effective, I think. I considered something very similar but was going to use a VERY long run of pipes. My engineer friend did some calculations (there is a lot of variables) and felt like the return was not worth the cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.