Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buried Pool Cooler / Warmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Buried Pool Cooler / Warmer

Has anyone tried this? put a valve inline after the pump that allows water to be diverted to a setup underground meant to cool the water in the summer and warm it in the early spring. Being a caver I know that underground temps are pretty consistently the annual average temp. Here in the southeast that means 72 degrees or so which is cold enough to cool water or warm enough to warm. My thoughts were to dig a 5'x5'x5' square. Use PVC pipe to build a mini radiator that just uses 180 degree elbows like crazy to build as dense a pipe setup as possible in that 5x5x5 space. Fill with sand and cover with grass. Water be switched between bypassing this or not. PVC is probably not the best choice for conducting temps but I'm a bit fearful about using something metal due to rust. Salt pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buried Pool Cooler / Warmer

I'm no engineer, but I don't think you'd get much out of this, but how big a pool are you talking about cooling?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

15000 in-ground.

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know where you got your figures, but my guess is you'll have a VERY cool pool.... more like 64 degrees. I don't think you will be very pleased with the thermal conductivity of plastic pipe, either....

I have roughly the same idea installed (in northern piedmont, NC), using a water source heat pump and well.... water temps are more like 59 degrees, year round.... but it heats and cools the house.

You may want to dig back about 35 years, to the Annual Cycle Energy System (ACES) research. There should be some data there to help you....

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The conductivity of plastic pipes will not be effective, I think. I considered something very similar but was going to use a VERY long run of pipes. My engineer friend did some calculations (there is a lot of variables) and felt like the return was not worth the cost.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Well they use pex for radiant heating so you could use that, but I believe the ground temperature is much colder than that so heating would not be so effective. You can just use a fountain for cooling Amazon.com : Splash Pools 30700 Waterfall Pool Fountain : Swimming Pool Pump Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Approx 15,000 gallon gunite pool, fiberglass finish. Hayward SP2302VSP, compools solar controller, 6 4x10 "Sealed Air" brand solar panels, Clean and Clear 520 cartridge filter