Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bottom drain not woking

1. Back To Top    #1

bottom drain not woking

this is a picture of my jandy valve that operates my skimmer/drain. My skimmer sucks water just fine, however the bottom drain is not. I put small floating debris next to the bottom drain and they do not get sucked in. I have played with the valve in every direction and I cannot get my skimmer to turn off or my bottom drain to suck. This is a new to me pool I just bought the home a couple months ago and installed a new pump and filter assembly. I'm not sure how to fix this or if I should just leave the skimmer to do all the work?

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: bottom drain not woking

I don't see the valve.

The intake for the pump is the horizontal pipe that sticks out on the basket end. I see no valve there.

Typically, the main drain is plumbed to the bottom of the skimmer. Pull everything out of the skimmer. Are there two holes? Is there a diverter valve?

If there are two holes in the bottom of the skimmer and you don't have a diverter or the diverter is set wide open, that's why the main drain does nothing. Even with full suction to the main drain, you likely won't see it draw much in.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sacramento, CA

Re: bottom drain not woking

What he said /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall