Automatic Pool Cover or Simple Solar Blanket

Mar 2, 2016
New Orleans
Torn between potentially going with an automatic pool cover versus just a simple solar blanket.

To put it in context, we are in New Orleans, in the city proper, so we have limited space that we are working with. The specifics of our property further limit the location and size of our pool.

It's not going to be large, probably a little under 15 x 20. Given the existing layout and landscaping, an irregular (roughly kidney shaped) pool seems to make the most sense in terms of both maximizing space and aesthetics.

I am very attracted to the idea of an automatic pool cover, it sounds like a wonderfully convenient thing. The main purpose of it would be to retain heat (my wife likes the pool toasty - it will be heated, which is something else we're trying to figure out, heat pump seems way to go, but we keep hearing that it is inadequate for people, even here), as safety is not really a concern for us, since we have no children and will of course have a fence around the property.

However, I'm running into a couple of potential snags re the auto pool cover. For one, there seem to be very few pools with auto covers here in NOLA - our builder has never installed one, and I spoke with the major companies (CoverStar, CoverPools, etc.) and they have little experience here. So that could be an issue. Secondly, I am wondering if the irregular shape just makes it too troublesome?

So wondering if folks have any thoughts as to the pool cover quandary - is the auto pool cover worth the trouble and expense in this case, or will a simple solar blanket be just as good and not too much trouble in this set up? I've also been looking at an auto roller - specifically the Pool Boy - which I know is less aestethically pleasing, but costs way less and seems to work well - so would love to hear if anyone has experience with that.

Thanks!

IMO the auto cover is the only way to go. Do what is called a pool-in-pool design which would hide the cover tracks. Put a spa blower to force air under the cover to reduce drag across concrete to limit wear. Do a heat pump with a chiller so you can control the water temp in the hottest part of summer.

Hi all,

Thanks much for all the responses. Unfortunately, we ended up with a very cool free form shape, and we simply do not have the space for a pool-in-pool design, so an automatic cover is out for us. I don't even think we'll have a way to use the Pool Boy (or any reel system for that matter).

But at least being in New Orleans, I think there will be a good long stretch of time we won't need to worry about covering it at all, so I'm hoping it'll be hardly missed.

Thanks again,
Sascha

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and we decided to go with just the heat pump, without the chiller function, as it is impossible for the water to get too warm for my wife ☺

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.