Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plumbing design

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing design

Wasn't sure if this needs to be in this section or the section about water movement, but I put it here since it deals with an upcoming new construction.

I just picked a pool shape and size of a steel wall pool with a vinyl liner and want to do this as an O/B.
    However, I would need help with designing and planning the plumbing. Are there members who would design my system on a paid basis? Or has anyone used a company that does this they could recommend?

Thanks,
    Mickey

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing design

I imagine there will be at least a few members offering help on this for you. We have a generous and helpful lot of people around here. Good luck on your project!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Post up the design and any features you intend on having.
    -Brian-
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a very open area in which to build. It is all flat yard or pasture land. I am installing near a metal building that I will convert into a pool house to get out of the heat. We do not live in any municipality, so no restrictions there.

We are converting an 18'x40' Full-L shape into a T shape. Here is a link to the .pdf of the kit. Scroll to the bottom to the 18'x40'
    http://www.megnapools.com/FULL-L%202%20FT%20RAD.pdf

here is a Google Earth photo of the part of our yardf where the pool will be located. The white rectangle I drew is where we want the pool. The white building just to the left of it is the metal building I referenced earlier.

IMG_7626.PNG.jpg

This is a crude sketch of where I want it to sit in relation to the building.

IMG_7660.jpg

-Mickey

5. Back To Top    #5

Didnt say so in the last post, but no "features" as such. I will have jets at the steps which will be on the end of the shallow end closest to the pool house, but otherwise, I just want a well designed pool that moves water to the skimmers properly and circulates well.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by wmmallette View Post
    I have a very open area in which to build. It is all flat yard or pasture land. I am installing near a metal building that I will convert into a pool house to get out of the heat. We do not live in any municipality, so no restrictions there.

We are converting an 18'x40' Full-L shape into a T shape. Here is a link to the .pdf of the kit. Scroll to the bottom to the 18'x40'
    http://www.megnapools.com/FULL-L%202%20FT%20RAD.pdf

here is a Google Earth photo of the part of our yardf where the pool will be located. The white rectangle I drew is where we want the pool. The white building just to the left of it is the metal building I referenced earlier.

IMG_7626.PNG.jpg

This is a crude sketch of where I want it to sit in relation to the building.

IMG_7660.jpg

-Mickey
    On this sketch, where are your prominent winds? that will be the best way to design you plumbing.

do they change during the spring, summer, fall?
    are you keeping open all year?

these answers will dictate where you put skimmers or if you need 2 or only 1
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

On the sketch, the top of the sketch is West, the Bottom is East, the right side is South and the left side is North. I dont know if they change during the year, but mostly wind comes in blowing North East. We wouldnt keep the pool open all year, but have an extended season just based on our location. We are in the North part of Mississippi.

And I am not married to the shallow end being on the North end. It can just as well be on the South end if that helps the design and flow of water for skimmers.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

you can put them wherever you want but the skimmer needs to be on the downwind side. I put mine on the east side because the wind always blows from the northeast or the southeast

so for you it sounds like you would want 1 on the south of the pool... if you wanted 2 maybe 1 southeast side and 1 southwest side and then have returns on the north side... the problem I see is the inside edge of the T, you would get very little flow there unless you put 1 return on each side...

Is that clear as mud
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

That seems like the opposite. I would have thought that if the wind generally blows North East, then I would want skimmers on the North because the wind would naturally blow debris to that end of the pool near a skimmer. If my skimmers were on the South then wouldn't the returns and skimmers be working against the natural flow of the wind?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Either your North/South or East/West direction is incorrect so I don't really know on skimmer placement. This was my best guess.

When you say "jets" are you talking about actual jets (with an airline) of just standard returns?

Are the dimensions for the pool correct? I didn't see any one of the designs that showed a "T" configuration?

Attached Images Attached Images
    -Brian-
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by wmmallette View Post
    That seems like the opposite. I would have thought that if the wind generally blows North East, then I would want skimmers on the North because the wind would naturally blow debris to that end of the pool near a skimmer. If my skimmers were on the South then wouldn't the returns and skimmers be working against the natural flow of the wind?
    You are correct, I mixed up and thought coming from the north, not blowing to the north

Bdavis, that design is awesome

12. Back To Top    #12

BDavis, awesome!

On the steps, I meant air line jets.

On the dimensions, the only thing you do not have correct is you have the total length of the shallow end at 42', when it is only 30'. Therefore, the top of the "T" will only extend 6' out on either side instead of the 12' shown in your schematic above.

In the orientation you have in your schematic (as i had it in my drawing), the shallow end is to the North, which would mean that the wind would normally blow debris to that end and to the East corner mostly. I am open to suggestions whether to leave the pool in this orientation or to swap the shallow and deep ends to put the shalow end to the South if that is a better solution. That would blow most debris to the deep end.

Also, in the current orientation, the steps are in the right part of the pool, but they will not be in the actual perimeter of the pool, they will be just outside the pool perimeter at that same location. If the pool were flipped to put the shallow end on the South, then they would still be on the West leg of the shallow end nearest the building in my drawing.

Does this information alter anything in your mind, from a skimmer and return placement perspective?

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Like this? How can the stairs not be in the perimeter of the pool?

-Brian-

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    Like this? How can the stairs not be in the perimeter of the pool?

Maybe the steps are the bump out fiberglass kind?
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, same idea as the fiberglass bump out steps, but they will be vinyl over steel.

Those are my pool dimesions exactly. Awesome!

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

If thats correct, then I'd suggest something like this:

-Brian-

17. Back To Top    #17

I think Brian must be an engineer!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

18. Back To Top    #18

Bdavis,

Are you drawing this out in a CAD program?

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Yes its a CAD program
    -Brian-

20. Back To Top    #20

Do you think I would be better served just making it an L instead of a T, that way the North East wind direction could blow the surface debris to the corner of the pool away from the steps?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast