Star floor installed

XSurfX

Sep 15, 2015
Orlando, FL
I installed my fiber optic star floor kit, and cemented them down per instructions. Marcite is going in tomorrow, trying to figure out how/when to trim them flush with the surface.

Instructions say to "trim when plaster is dry", but these clear plastic rods are tough to cut. Hot knife isn't effective, thinking using a tile cutter or similar.

More importantly is the timing. Putting in a pebble finish, but filling happens immediately. At least these lights are on my shelf only, but can the finish be walked on for getting around to the lights?

Maybe let the finish cure, then drain below the shelf and trim?

I'll post a pic up shortly.

Any ideas?

Use a Dremel tool or Die Grinder to cut them to length when your finish is cured. I like the idea of draining after that happens. Not sure I'm right, but it's the first thing that comes to mind. Never answered this question before either, so this must be something pretty new.

Oh wow, I had to look up what a star floor was!

star-floor-pool.jpg

Amazing! Please post pics of your finished one :)

I'm considering this too and surely would like to see some finished pictures! How did you resolve your installation questions?
So this project took a couple calls to the manufacturer, a lot of unproductive internet search time, and trial/error....but now that I'm done hopefully I can offer some suggestions.

I did 75 lights (3 LED drivers, 25' fiberoptic lines) on a sunshelf. Usually these are placed on the deeper parts of the pool floor, and kits can come with much longer lines. The lines were pretty durable considering all the tugging and stepping on: jacketed and 2 fibers/light strand. The star consists of a base plate with the 2 fibers feeding into a vertical acrylic rod (partially hollow at bottom for fibers). The LED drivers live in a circular container meant for partial burial.

Per the instructions, these lines were placed after gunite.

Acid wash was prior to installing the lines. Portland cement was applied to protect the fibers and star hub (instructions). Marcite was done after, requiring hand troweling and repairing several lights in the process. Overall, its suprising more didn't break considering it was like a landmine zone. The shelf is 6' x 19'. 75 lights was way overkill, but I placed the 3 light zones evenly allocated to allow for future tweaking.

Trimming took a couple experiments. The vertical riser is acrylic, and it charred with a hot knife or tile cutter. Best tool was my ridgid multi with a diamond blade, and final cut was with a dremel. Trimming needed to occur after plaster dried, because the vibration disturbed the finish. This didn't really delay filling, as they were only on the upper shelf. Might be an issue if on the bottom.

Problems encountered: Even though I did 3 rounds of chipping away loose portland cement and cleaning up, the floor feels somewhat wavy (hand trowel) and actually a little hollow sounding in areas. Again, I think these are usually placed on the pool floor not where walking normally occurs. I expected a thicker marcite, but they know what they're doing.

Hindsight I would have stuck these in the concrete during the end of the shell creation. The dowels always broke at the insertion base...and covering these with cement would have definitely avoided them snapping so easily. Alternatively, grinding out a spot for the lines and bases would've worked. Either of these would have avoided the uneven floor.

The other issue was the mess of fiberoptic lines when the slack was pulled out of the shell. I ended up burying them in a plastic container, sealed but perforated bottom. Its possible to hotknife these fibers, but at that point I was over it.

Overall, we like the lights...they're a neat feature. If I did it over again, I'd have done less lights or spread them out more into the pool. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
894658b4f9a7391b783b65047c1db743.jpg
0e451178b4853326278382fbcd15f430.jpg
a5e82ae6f49c6446d36d0146d1cb1ea4.jpg
b21bca0e96c893b428e045b782de85ad.jpg
19b6b2e4d23c651e501014afd761ca31.jpg
4920233987b0cf2ebecb278fc697692c.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very cool. If 75 lights for your sunshelf is overkill, what density would you have preferred? From your other post, I assume your sunshelf is roughly 6x16 = 96 sq ft. 75 lights in that area does sound like a lot. Would 25 have been enough? Do you think 75 would have been enough for your entire pool, or would you have wanted to add more?

Very cool. If 75 lights for your sunshelf is overkill, what density would you have preferred? From your other post, I assume your sunshelf is roughly 6x16 = 96 sq ft. 75 lights in that area does sound like a lot. Would 25 have been enough? Do you think 75 would have been enough for your entire pool, or would you have wanted to add more?
I think 25-40 would have been fine. The luminance really depends on the active color/mode. Also, many are not overly visible unless you're looking directly down on them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.