First time pool owner...Seeking advice

Jan 19, 2016
Seguin/Texas
Hello Everyone,

I live in Seguin, TX, First time pool owner…installed Jan 16. I have been using my TF-100 kit for several weeks and using the pool calculator. Have had to add Muriatic acid every week and PH stays at 7.8. I am using Trichlor tabs but FC got to 15.5 so turned it off last week to bring it down a bit, would like to switch to bleach. Here are my most recent results::confused:

FC - 11
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.8
TA - 90
CH – 325
CYA - 40
Salt - 3400

I’m concerned about the CH/CYA & CC
Thanks!

Hey neighbor! Nice to have you with us. Your CYA is fine for now, although when the sun really kicks-in in another couple months, your pool may like a CYA of about 50. Personally, I keep mine at 60-70 with no shade on the water at all. As you know your FC is slightly elevated which may also be messing with your pH as well. Let the FC sink down a bit to the 5-6 range, then check pH to confirm it is between 7.5-7.8. Your CC of .5 is on the high end, but just watch it the next day or two. If your water is clear and you're not losing a lot of FC, then the CC may just oxidize on its own. If it gets higher, check back in with us.

As for CH, normally people only relate it to plaster, but I had a personal experience where early in my FB pool days, I allowed both CH and pH to remain too high and it caused some scaling on my shell which I am still trying to remedy. While we have no control over the hardness of our fill water, we can control the pH and TA. So make sure you enter all three in the poolmath calculator and look at the CSI row to make sure you're not going close to or over.6.

If your pH continues to climb, you can allow the TA to sink down to 50-60. That may help. Let us know if you have any more questions. Nice to have you with us Larry. :wave:

It will help if you work the TA down, and it will come down if you keep pushing the pH down with regularity. Just stay at it, and it will come your way. You'll need more Cya as the season wears on, but your CH is very manageable at that level. No problem there. Some of us have three times that amount, so we have to manage pH and TA much more aggressively. Just keep your pH in the lower range until the TA comes down, and see if the pH doesn't settle in and increase more slowly. It will rise faster with a SWG as a rule, but it's just part of the game.

Thanks for the responses...it's a great feeling to know there are so many out there ready to help! This is a great resource and I have learned a great deal in short period of time.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh it sounds like you have been doing some reading! There is SO much information to be found that is for sure. IF you do not find what you are looking for or just want to do a double check make sure to post your questions or concerns and someone should know the answer.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.