Should i bother treating algae months before opening?

New pool owner here. I have an extremely green pool at the moment, and was wondering if I should bother treating it now, or should I just wait until opening and just start earlier. Is there any long term damage that I should be worried about? I checked the pH and it was about 7.2.

Welcome! :wave:

I'd kill it now, if all the plumbing and everything is hooked up and the danger of freezing is over.

If the water is cold, the algae won't reproduce very quickly, so when you kill a bunch of it, the survivors won't reproduce, so you'll kill it off faster now. Also, doing it now will beat the opening weekend bleach rush.... although if there are any sales on bleach, you'll be too early and miss them.

I don't know much about the weather in your part of OK, but it seems that you aren't really months away from opening. We recommend opening when the water is getting to 60 degrees. I think your target opening should probably be earlier.

Oh, okay. Just wanted to make sure. Sometimes, depending upon the size of the pool, it is more efficient to do it that way. As for running the pump ..... once you top the water off you can run the pump to keep bleach circulating if you would like. Naturally you won't be able to filter-out any dead stuff, but it should help. If you have any questions when you start, please let us know. Oh, for some reason all of your signature info disappeared? :confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In a pool this size, and with its filtering capabilities, everything that can be done to clean and drain before refill will be well worth the effort. It's simply no easy task to SLAM, and clean this up as compared to a regular pool with all the filtering capabilities. In this pool, filtering out dead Algae will happen, but at a much slower pace unless you have a vacuum rigged up.

I bought 150 lbs of quikrete pool filter sand. The pump said 120 lbs, but I'll be able to use any extra for metalcasting.

Not to be downer but did you already put the sand in????? We have seen MANY problems with that brand of pool sand. It had LOTS of trash in it and did a VERY poor job due to inconsistent sand size.

If you cannot take it back or there is no other brand available make sure to back wash like mad and rinse VERY well.

Kim

The mess ups had been so bad that I would not be willing to chance it. The one poster that showed the Quik sand and the other brand was VERY telling. The trash and size difference was very telling. Of course I cannot find the tread now :(

Kim

I havn't even taken it out of my truck yet. I might take it back and get a longer vac pole.
The research I saw seemed to have the problems when they didn't pour dry sand into water, but just straight into their dry empty filter.
I'm not in any rush, my test kit won't be here for several days anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.