Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i bother treating algae months before opening?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should i bother treating algae months before opening?

New pool owner here. I have an extremely green pool at the moment, and was wondering if I should bother treating it now, or should I just wait until opening and just start earlier. Is there any long term damage that I should be worried about? I checked the pH and it was about 7.2.
    17'x54", 7000gal Summer Escapes AG, Intex 3000gph 1hp pump, Intex 16" sand filter, Intex automatic pool cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should i bother treating algae months before opening?

Welcome!

I'd kill it now, if all the plumbing and everything is hooked up and the danger of freezing is over.

If the water is cold, the algae won't reproduce very quickly, so when you kill a bunch of it, the survivors won't reproduce, so you'll kill it off faster now. Also, doing it now will beat the opening weekend bleach rush.... although if there are any sales on bleach, you'll be too early and miss them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum Drew. I'd suggest doing it now as well. With that size of pool, I'd not be opposed to a fresh refill and then SLAM. It will go much faster if you do.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know much about the weather in your part of OK, but it seems that you aren't really months away from opening. We recommend opening when the water is getting to 60 degrees. I think your target opening should probably be earlier.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Pat you are killing me with these! LOVE IT and all of them! Thanks for the laughs!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replies. The pool is draining now.
    My sand filter and pump will be here tomorrow. Is there any sense in running the pump without sand until the algae is all dead? Or just start filtering it out and backwashing, dead or alive?

8. Back To Top    #8

Drew, I have to ask first ... why are you draining the pool? Or should I ask how much are you draining?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

Patrick B suggested a drain and refill to make the process go faster. I'll probably only drain it to 25% or so.
    I think I would rather the process go faster, and I think it's less than $50 to refill.

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh, okay. Just wanted to make sure. Sometimes, depending upon the size of the pool, it is more efficient to do it that way. As for running the pump ..... once you top the water off you can run the pump to keep bleach circulating if you would like. Naturally you won't be able to filter-out any dead stuff, but it should help. If you have any questions when you start, please let us know. Oh, for some reason all of your signature info disappeared?

11. Back To Top    #11

In a pool this size, and with its filtering capabilities, everything that can be done to clean and drain before refill will be well worth the effort. It's simply no easy task to SLAM, and clean this up as compared to a regular pool with all the filtering capabilities. In this pool, filtering out dead Algae will happen, but at a much slower pace unless you have a vacuum rigged up.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

12. Back To Top    #12

I was planning on waiting until I get the new pump and filter. The pump/filter should be here tomorrow, the auto vacuum today, and I picked up a vacuum brush head too. What else should I add to the filtering system?
    17'x54", 7000gal Summer Escapes AG, Intex 3000gph 1hp pump, Intex 16" sand filter, Intex automatic pool cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Not much to add that I can think of yet, just make sure you'll be able to hook up the vac hose.

Oh, do you have the sand you'll need yet? You need #20 and guessing about 60 lbs or so.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

14. Back To Top    #14

I bought 150 lbs of quikrete pool filter sand. The pump said 120 lbs, but I'll be able to use any extra for metalcasting.

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok, much more than I thought, so good deal. I had one a little smaller that didn't take near that. Sounds like you're good to go.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by DrewSmith007 View Post
    I bought 150 lbs of quikrete pool filter sand. The pump said 120 lbs, but I'll be able to use any extra for metalcasting.
    Not to be downer but did you already put the sand in????? We have seen MANY problems with that brand of pool sand. It had LOTS of trash in it and did a VERY poor job due to inconsistent sand size.

If you cannot take it back or there is no other brand available make sure to back wash like mad and rinse VERY well.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

I think the Quick Crete sand has been hit and miss hasn't it? I do remember some troubles, but I certainly could have missed the updates.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

18. Back To Top    #18

The mess ups had been so bad that I would not be willing to chance it. The one poster that showed the Quik sand and the other brand was VERY telling. The trash and size difference was very telling. Of course I cannot find the tread now

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

I havn't even taken it out of my truck yet. I might take it back and get a longer vac pole.
    The research I saw seemed to have the problems when they didn't pour dry sand into water, but just straight into their dry empty filter.
    I'm not in any rush, my test kit won't be here for several days anyway.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    The mess ups had been so bad that I would not be willing to chance it. The one poster that showed the Quik sand and the other brand was VERY telling. The trash and size difference was very telling. Of course I cannot find the tread now

Kim
    My findings on how not all sand is created equal
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast