Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New top! Need help

1. Back To Top    #1

New top! Need help

First time pool owner. New to pool maintenance.

My my test results are

fc 4.4
    ph 7.8
    ta 50
    cya 60
    Ch 460
    It looks like i need to raise fc to 6.8. Reduce ph bit and increase TA? I also want to add borates. Would greatly appreciate any help.

thanks a lot for this community. Learned a lot from this group in just two weeks!!!
    IG 15KG Pebbletec K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New top! Need help

Hello and welcome! Yes, FC is a bit low for a non-SWG pool with a CYA of 60. Your daily target is an FC of 7, so I would bump that up with some bleach. Never go below 5. That's my CYA as well, so I like to keep my FC at a steady 6-8 range. Your pH is at the top-end of the scale, so don't let it go any higher. TA is okay at 50, but I wouldn't let it go lower. At some point you may need to throw-in some baking soda to raise the TA while you use acid to lower pH. I don't see your CH listed, but I suspect you have hard water like most others in that area, so you might want to post that when you get a chance.

One other thought though since you are new: What are you using to test your water? That's very important for us to know. In addition, you probably should add some more info to your custom signature so we have a better idea of your equipment - to include your type of test kit. That info comes-in really handy.

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

What he said ^^^

50 TA is marginal, but I'm willing to bet your fill water is going to be very alkaline, which should start pushing that TA up when you start replacing evaporative losses.

Yes, reduce pH a little.

You're in Arizona, so I'd worry about CH as well if I were you. It tends to be really high in the southwest. Do you have a full test kit?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you! I am using Taylor 2006 for testing. I did measure CH. Made some mistake during the test. Hence didn't post that number. I will test again tonight and post it. So, far now , I will focus on FC and PH.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing, previous owner had swg and removed it before I moved in. I am not sure if that is important current maintenance.
    IG 15KG Pebbletec K2006

5. Back To Top    #5

No problem. Now you'll just treat your pool as a non-SWG pool for the recommended levels. Have a nice day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ch is at 460
    IG 15KG Pebbletec K2006

7. Back To Top    #7

That's expected. SO while it's a bit high, it's by no means ridiculous or unmanageable. The key for anyone who fills with hard water is to be very conscious of your pH and TA levels. As long as you watch those closely, it will help off-set the CH. The poolmath calculator in extremely valuable for that.