Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool opening: manual vacuum needed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool opening: manual vacuum needed?

Hello, and thanks as always for all the great info.

I did not open my own pool last year but plan on doing so this year. Throughout the season I was able to maintain a clean plaster pool through brushing and a Polaris 360. I have a loop-loc cover so it will be definitely not be spotless when the cover comes off. My questions are:

1) Do I need a manual vacuum for pool opening? If so, any particular recommendations?
    2) Throughout the season, am I doing myself a disservice by not using a manual vacuum occasionally and relying solely on the brush/polaris?

Thanks again!
    In-ground free form pool: colored (dark grey) plaster, 16150 gallons, cartridge cleaner, TF-100 Test kit, Northern Virginia, pool approximately 11 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool opening: manual vacuum needed?

Quote Originally Posted by NOVApool View Post

1) Do I need a manual vacuum for pool opening? If so, any particular recommendations?
    Perhaps not needed. I'd wait to see what you find when you uncover. It might only need a little leaf scooping up with a net and let the Polaris go in.
    2) Throughout the season, am I doing myself a disservice by not using a manual vacuum occasionally and relying solely on the brush/polaris?
    I don't think so. Brushing is important, but if you don't need to vacuum, why bother? I have an autocover so I only use a small Pool Blaster Max vacuum to pick up the occasional bit of schmutz. That Polaris is taking care of that...right?
    Here's hoping you open and find a nice clean pool....or at least one with minimal debris, eh?
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I never manual vacuum. I use the net to get the worms out about once a week in the winter. Doing this regularly saves me from having to deal with 2,500 drowned worms when I open the pool. During the season I brush the walls down once a week and let the Polaris handle the rest. So far, no problems. I should mention that I do not cover my pool.
    35,000 gallon Anthony & Sylvan, plaster over concrete, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter with DE, 2 hp pump, Nature2 clearvision system, Polaris robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to both replies.

I opened the pool yesterday morning, and pool was surprisingly clean, mostly just worms and a negligible amount of dirt. Polaris and brushing has picked up 98% of it as of this morning, so hopefully one more brushing and vacuum will take care of this.

Now I just need to find someone who wants to swim in a 55 degree pool...
    In-ground free form pool: colored (dark grey) plaster, 16150 gallons, cartridge cleaner, TF-100 Test kit, Northern Virginia, pool approximately 11 years old.

5. Back To Top    #5

Nope, nuauuuuuuuu, NOT me! LOL Ask me again when it reaches 80+

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Might depend on your cleaner. My cleaner won't come out of the hopper with the winter crud on the liner, so I end up vacuuming first then letting the cleaner do the finish work.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm not very smart and would probably jump in Good open water swim practice.
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

My previous record is April 1st. I told my wife I wanted to beat that record this year. She went away mumbling something about checking my life insurance policy.
    35,000 gallon Anthony & Sylvan, plaster over concrete, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter with DE, 2 hp pump, Nature2 clearvision system, Polaris robot.