Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool opening: manual vacuum needed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool opening: manual vacuum needed?

Hello, and thanks as always for all the great info.

I did not open my own pool last year but plan on doing so this year. Throughout the season I was able to maintain a clean plaster pool through brushing and a Polaris 360. I have a loop-loc cover so it will be definitely not be spotless when the cover comes off. My questions are:

1) Do I need a manual vacuum for pool opening? If so, any particular recommendations?
    2) Throughout the season, am I doing myself a disservice by not using a manual vacuum occasionally and relying solely on the brush/polaris?

Thanks again!
    In-ground free form pool: colored (dark grey) plaster, 16150 gallons, cartridge cleaner, TF-100 Test kit, Northern Virginia, pool approximately 11 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool opening: manual vacuum needed?

Quote Originally Posted by NOVApool View Post

1) Do I need a manual vacuum for pool opening? If so, any particular recommendations?
    Perhaps not needed. I'd wait to see what you find when you uncover. It might only need a little leaf scooping up with a net and let the Polaris go in.
    2) Throughout the season, am I doing myself a disservice by not using a manual vacuum occasionally and relying solely on the brush/polaris?
    I don't think so. Brushing is important, but if you don't need to vacuum, why bother? I have an autocover so I only use a small Pool Blaster Max vacuum to pick up the occasional bit of schmutz. That Polaris is taking care of that...right?
    Here's hoping you open and find a nice clean pool....or at least one with minimal debris, eh?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I never manual vacuum. I use the net to get the worms out about once a week in the winter. Doing this regularly saves me from having to deal with 2,500 drowned worms when I open the pool. During the season I brush the walls down once a week and let the Polaris handle the rest. So far, no problems. I should mention that I do not cover my pool.
    35,000 gallon Anthony & Sylvan, plaster over concrete, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter with DE, 2 hp pump, Nature2 clearvision system, Polaris robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to both replies.

I opened the pool yesterday morning, and pool was surprisingly clean, mostly just worms and a negligible amount of dirt. Polaris and brushing has picked up 98% of it as of this morning, so hopefully one more brushing and vacuum will take care of this.

Now I just need to find someone who wants to swim in a 55 degree pool...
    In-ground free form pool: colored (dark grey) plaster, 16150 gallons, cartridge cleaner, TF-100 Test kit, Northern Virginia, pool approximately 11 years old.

5. Back To Top    #5

Nope, nuauuuuuuuu, NOT me! LOL Ask me again when it reaches 80+

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Might depend on your cleaner. My cleaner won't come out of the hopper with the winter crud on the liner, so I end up vacuuming first then letting the cleaner do the finish work.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm not very smart and would probably jump in Good open water swim practice.
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

My previous record is April 1st. I told my wife I wanted to beat that record this year. She went away mumbling something about checking my life insurance policy.
    35,000 gallon Anthony & Sylvan, plaster over concrete, Purex Triton FNSP 60 filter with DE, 2 hp pump, Nature2 clearvision system, Polaris robot.