Starting over

melsteph

Gold Supporter
Jun 8, 2013
East Texas
I took the pool down last fall to level and start new this spring.
Have filled it up, added some bleach for algae in bottom, and muriatic acid because I knew I would need it.
Tested today and here are readings:
Chlorine - 0
PH - 7.4
Alkalinity - 330
CH - 25-50
CYA - 0

I put that into pool math and it told me to add more bleach, TONS of calcuim chloride, and stabilizer.
Do I go ahead and balance it with those recommendations before adding the SALT and turning on the SWG?

Or do you have different advice?

Intex 14400 Gal
Sand Filter Pump
SWG - may need to get a new one this season

Melissa
East Texas

Melissa, since this is new water, lets help get you started:
- Add enough granular stabilizer via the sock method to raise CYA with a target of 70 ppm. You need it that high to protect the FC from your SWG.
- Add enough liquid bleach to maintain FC at about 3-4 ppm. Don't let it drop below 3 if you can help it.
- Of course add the required amount of salt so it can start dissolving. Remember to keep bleach on-hand until you know the SWG is working and generating FC.
- CH should not be applicable for your Intex (vinyl) pool. Just leave that alone for now.
- pH is a hair low, but will probably rise to 7.5 soon enough with aeration and activity.
- TA is really high. You might want to double-check that test. Ideally you shold be around the 60-80 range.

Definitely focus on FC right now to avoid algae. Double-check your TA testing method and let us know how that turns out. The rest will work out just fine.

Low CH is no problem in a vinyl pool, and actually works to your advantage with the SWG. So ignore that.

Expect the pH to rise quickly due to the high TA. Each time it gets close to 7.8, knock it down to 7.2. TA will come down on its own in a few weeks. No special effort will be needed.

Ok - so tomorrow add CYA and the salt. Bleach (chlorine) is disappearing, so I am assuming that is due to lack of CYA. Should I shock it or just keep adding gallons of bleach?
Thanks so much!
I love avoiding the pool store prices and confusion!!
Melissa

We don't "shock" pools. We "slam" if we have to; that's all. With new water, you shouldn't have to do either.

Add the CYA (underestimate your goal), and add bleach according to your "goal/target" CYA: (Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart )

If you need help with chemical addition quantities, click on the poolmath tab at the top of this page. Does that make sense? I'm tired....

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops. Did you say you have visible algae?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.