Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Run Time Baseline

1. Back To Top    #1

Run Time Baseline

As a new spa owner, I am trying to get a starting baseline for pump run time. I have an in-ground, 2,200 gal., plaster, SWG spa with an auto cover. The pump is a Pentair Intelliflo, 3hp, variable-speed unit. Correct if I am wrong, but it seems like the primary determination of run time would be for the SWG to generate a level of FC consistent with my target. With that in mind, I would appreciate some thoughts of suggested hours-per-day of run time.

BTW, I did a search on the forum & read several posts, as well as a "sticky", on the subject. Recommendations varied.

Thank you kindly.

Kit
    Kit
    14' X 11' rectangular in-ground spa; 2,360 gals; plaster/gunite; SWCG (Pentair IntelliChlor); Pentair Intelliflo varaible-speed pump; EasyTouch4 control system; cartridge filters; auto cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Run Time Baseline

With the autocover you won't have much debris in need of filtering out so you don't need to run the pump more than enough to trigger the SWG to produce enough chlorine to maintain good test results.

Start with however many hours you think it might take and if you see your FC go too high, cut down the percentage on the SWG or cut down the hours on the pump. You'll find a sweet spot with a little trial and error.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't say which Intellichlor you have but I would be surprised if you needed more than about 1 hour for the spa size to get enough FC. Probably less than 30 min. Also, circulation should not be much of an issue either since the volume is so small. So I would say somewhere in the 30-60 min range.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the responses, YippeeSkippy & mas985. The trial & error approach certainly seems logical. I guess that I am looking for a baseline run time from which to start. By the way, the IntelliChlor SWG is Model IC20.

Kit
    Kit
    14' X 11' rectangular in-ground spa; 2,360 gals; plaster/gunite; SWCG (Pentair IntelliChlor); Pentair Intelliflo varaible-speed pump; EasyTouch4 control system; cartridge filters; auto cover

5. Back To Top    #5

The IC20 can produce 38 ppm of chlorine a day in your 2200 gallon spa if it ran 24 hours with 100% output.

One hour a day with 100% output would generate 1.6 ppm of chlorine in a day.

My guess is that you could start with 30 minutes a day at 100% and see how the FC does.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

For each ppm of FC added, you need to run the SWG about 38 min at 100% output.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Excellent. Thank you so much!! As a new spa owner, it seems like I have a thousand questions. However, as all of this new information sinks in & I become more familiar with the spa, I am sure it will all become second nature. But, I thank you & others who are willing to share your knowledge.

Kit
    Kit