Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool first tf100 test results

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool first tf100 test results

Hello all,

I am in Orlando FL and recently had a pool built. The pool was filled in January and I have been running the chlorine generator for about 1 month. I was relying on pool store tests, but I just received my TF-100 test kit with results below:

Free Cl: 4
    CC: 0
    CH: 500
    TA: 60
    CYA: 60

Everything looks ok (as far as I can tell) except the CH level. Should I be concerned about the CH, or anything else? What can I do to keep the CH in check?

Thanks in advance for any advice.....
    -15' x 30' Gunite, ~12,500 gallons, Stonescapes mini-pebble finish
    -Pentair Intelliflow pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Purochlor chlorine generator
    -TF100 test kit with speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool first tf100 test results

What is your pH? New gunnite pools need to "cure" and you have to keep an eye on the pH and lower it as needed with muriatic acid.

Your Calcium Hardness is a bit high, but seeing as you're in Florida with frequent rains, and this is a new pool, I suspect that will come in line in a few months easily enough if you drop your water level a bit when expecting torrential rains and let them fill you back up. Calcium is only lowered by water exchange.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Yes, very close. Good work. Just bring that CYA up about 10 ppm more (70 minimum) to make things easier for your SWG. Target FC of 5 is good - never below 3. As YS noted, we don't see pH, so hopefully you're in that 7.5-7.8 range. CH, yeah, a bit elevated for a new pool. You must have hard local water huh? If you used Cal-Hypo that will add CH as well. Still, it's very manageable.

Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, pH is 7.6. I have been adding muriatic acid regularly.

Thanks for your comment.
    -Pentair Intelliflow pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Purochlor chlorine generator

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh yeah! I have another FL person on here! Even if he is a gator fan

They have you on the right track for you numbers. I would like to know what you fill water looks like. Do not test the CYA as that has to be added so is not in fill water.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Kim,
    I'll check out the fill water and post the results soon.....

AND GO GATORS!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Kim, I tested again today with following results.

FC 5
    pH 7.4
    CH 550
    TA 60
    CYA 60

I also tested the fill water for CH and found CH of only 50. So where is all the calcium coming from?

8. Back To Top    #8

Gator- You're not adding any pool store products...are you? Not only is your fill water soft, but it appears by your testing that your CH has increased more since your original post.

Are you brushing your new pool per the builders guidelines? do you see a lot of plaster dust?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

How new is your pool? As it cures, it will release calcium hydroxide into the water. This will reach equilibrium at a certain point, but no new pool is exactly the same. If you are dumping water and replacing with your fill water, the level should continue to come down. You don't want your CH to stay this high or it will produce scale on the pebble, so I would keep watching and be ready to replace some water.

The best time of day to do this is probably 27 to 2. #GoNOLES
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have not added any pool store products except for liquid CYA from Leslie's. I also added salt and and liquid chlorine, and continue to add acid as needed to keep the pH down.

The pebble finish was applied in early January. I am still brushing the pool and most of the plaster dust has already come off. Now when I brush I get little to no dust. I have not replaced any water yet. The finish looks good; no signs of scale yet. Is there a CH number that should trigger me to start replacing water? Or should I just continue to watch for scale? I don't really know what I am doing, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for the responses.

Good one txnole! I have a feeling this year will be different....

11. Back To Top    #11

Just keep an eye on your CSI. We have people here at TFP with CH over 1200 who are doing fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Just keep your pH on the lower end of suggested levels, this will help avoid any problems.

I'll link this here for your information and will second pooldv's advice about monitoring your CSI using PoolMath.

Pool School - Calcium Scaling

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks will do.......

14. Back To Top    #14

Hey GatorBoy! They have your taken care of I see! Keep asking any and all questions you might have. Someone will be able to help you out.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit