Yellow Algae / Opening pool

jlg144

Mar 14, 2016
Goodlettsville, tn
We've had our pool for three seasons now with no trouble until last year when we opened our pool it was somewhat green. We think due to a leaky winter cover. We got rid of the algae and then in July we developed yellow algae. We treated once with shock and once with yellow out. We thought it was gone but when we closed our pool and took the pump apart the next morning when we went to put the winter cover on I saw several spots had formed over night. Too late to fix it so we put the cover on it.

any suggestions on how to open the pool if when we take the cover off it has yellow algae?

also we use Aqua smart and are thinking of switching to pool RX.

Any my thoughts on these two systems?

also we use Aqua smart and are thinking of switching to pool RX.

Any my thoughts on these two systems?

First of all...Welcome....

You will find that most people use Bleach or Liquid Chlorine (higher concentrated bleach) for 90% of their issues here.

SLAM is not a product, it is a process. If you do it right, you only have to do it once.

Click on me: SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Also go to Pool School.

Finally and before you start the process, get your hands on a good test kit. Otherwise you will be guessing and most likely wasting $$, one way or another.

TFP is the best way to take care of your pool, so you've come to the right place. In order to successfully kill any algae and take care of your pool yourself you need a good test kit. Either a TF100 or Taylor 2006. Really simple to test your own water and SLAM your pool using liquid bleach from Walmart, etc.

Jig the yellow algae's jig is up! (LOL I am so funny) We call the strips "guess strips" for a reason. They are not reliable at all :( I wish they were but time and again we have found them to really do more harm than good. The next worse thing than guess strips is Pool Store testing! I know they should get it right but......they are in the business of making money and the only way they can do that is to sell you stuff based on your test numbers....what a racket huh?

Here at TFP the ONLY thing we have to gain is smiles and thank yous for helping getting and keeping pools clear!

Let keep you going on the right track. You have already started clearing your pool by finding TFP!

Next:

-order a test kit-you will really need the TF-100 XL since you know you have yellow algae. You are going to have to do quite a bit of testing before the yellow monster is gone.

-Once you test kit gets here read up and maybe even print out the link above about the SLAM. The MOST important part of the SLAM is the maintain as in maintain the FC (free chlorine) at or above the SLAM level.

For right now there is really nothing you can do until your test kit gets there as we do not want to waste your time or money.

Once you get the yellow algae gone you should not have to do this again if you follow the TFP guidelines so there is hope for a truly Trouble Free Pool!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.