Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yellow Algae / Opening pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Yellow Algae / Opening pool

We've had our pool for three seasons now with no trouble until last year when we opened our pool it was somewhat green. We think due to a leaky winter cover. We got rid of the algae and then in July we developed yellow algae. We treated once with shock and once with yellow out. We thought it was gone but when we closed our pool and took the pump apart the next morning when we went to put the winter cover on I saw several spots had formed over night. Too late to fix it so we put the cover on it.

any suggestions on how to open the pool if when we take the cover off it has yellow algae?

also we use Aqua smart and are thinking of switching to pool RX.

Any my thoughts on these two systems?
    20,000 gallon above ground pool
    Aqua smart system ( low chlorine mineral )
    cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yellow Algae / Opening pool

You have mustard algae....only way I know to get rid of is to view the SLAM instructions on this site and do the proper
    chlorine levels.

I had to deal with this last summer.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    You have mustard algae....only way I know to get rid of is to view the SLAM instructions on this site and do the proper
    chlorine levels.

I had to deal with this last summer.

How many times did it take to get rid of it?
    cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jlg144 View Post

also we use Aqua smart and are thinking of switching to pool RX.

Any my thoughts on these two systems?
    First of all...Welcome....

You will find that most people use Bleach or Liquid Chlorine (higher concentrated bleach) for 90% of their issues here.

SLAM is not a product, it is a process. If you do it right, you only have to do it once.

Click on me: SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Also go to Pool School.

Finally and before you start the process, get your hands on a good test kit. Otherwise you will be guessing and most likely wasting $$, one way or another.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP is the best way to take care of your pool, so you've come to the right place. In order to successfully kill any algae and take care of your pool yourself you need a good test kit. Either a TF100 or Taylor 2006. Really simple to test your own water and SLAM your pool using liquid bleach from Walmart, etc.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look. Previously we have used the test strips you buy at the pool store.
    And for shock we use blast by swim clear.
    cartridge filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Jig the yellow algae's jig is up! (LOL I am so funny) We call the strips "guess strips" for a reason. They are not reliable at all I wish they were but time and again we have found them to really do more harm than good. The next worse thing than guess strips is Pool Store testing! I know they should get it right but......they are in the business of making money and the only way they can do that is to sell you stuff based on your test numbers....what a racket huh?

Here at TFP the ONLY thing we have to gain is smiles and thank yous for helping getting and keeping pools clear!

Let keep you going on the right track. You have already started clearing your pool by finding TFP!

Next:

-order a test kit-you will really need the TF-100 XL since you know you have yellow algae. You are going to have to do quite a bit of testing before the yellow monster is gone.

-Once you test kit gets here read up and maybe even print out the link above about the SLAM. The MOST important part of the SLAM is the maintain as in maintain the FC (free chlorine) at or above the SLAM level.

For right now there is really nothing you can do until your test kit gets there as we do not want to waste your time or money.

Once you get the yellow algae gone you should not have to do this again if you follow the TFP guidelines so there is hope for a truly Trouble Free Pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jlg144 View Post
    How many times did it take to get rid of it?
    Just one proper SLAM took care of it over 1 and half weeks and I went through
    about 40 jugs of bleach because my CYA was way too high.

And that was just a little bit of yellow that would show near my steps.

Hope I never have to deal with that again.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.