New SWCG ... where do I put it? - I need some guidance!

nutria

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 20, 2015
Austin, TX
Hi all,
I've been using the methods described in this forum to keep my pool nice and balanced since we got our house with pool(s!) about a year ago. However, with 2 toddlers and a busy work and travel schedule the weak point in my system is ME and lately my pools have gone green and required a slam. So, I decided to get a SWCG, so far so good. The problem is that our setup is fairly complicated. We have 2 pools (square and lab) connected by a spillover. Each pool is mostly independent and has its own main pump (1.5 HP), a booster pump for a cleaner (each on its own timer), and a filter (DE). There is also a pump to push water from the lap pool to the square pool (on a switch) and a tab chlorinator at the output of the filter of the square pool. Additionally there is a gas heater (never used, suspect rusted out) that is connected to the output of the lap pool filter. So, that is 5 pumps, 4 timers, 2 filters, 1 tab chlorinator and 1 heater. The system was designed so that you chlorinate one pool via the tab chlorinator and use the spillover to feed the other pool. In this system, the 2 timers connected to the booster pumps, the heater and the tab chlorinator are not currently used.

The question is what do you think is the ideal position of the new SWCG? I see a few options:

1. Just substitute the old tab feeder (we don't use it) with the new SWCG and connect the SWCG to the booster pump timer. This would keep the system quite similar to what it was and be driven from the main pump in the square pool.
2. Take the heater out of the loop and insert the SWCG there. Then it would be driven by the pump in the lap pool and be connected to the timer of the booster pump in the lap pool. This would keep the square pool system unaffected and take the heater off line for real.
3. Put the SWCG in line with the pump that drives the spillover since this needs to run anyway to make sure chlorine reaches both pools. This has the advantage that it is a lower power pump (0.75 HP instead of 1.5HP), so presumably this can save energy while we don't switch pumps to VS (not un upgrade for this year).

Things to keep in mind is that we would like to eventually upgrade to VS pumps and we might consider a solar heating system in the future to extend our swim season. Can you guys help me with this decision? I add some pics of the equipment pads and the spillover (please ignore the low water level and the algae fest going on in the lap pool, as I said, I am the weak link in our system :)

The square pool pad
IMG_20160313_191553.jpg
The lap pool pad
IMG_20160313_191543.jpg
The spillover
IMG_20160313_191716.jpg

Thanks!

hmmmm, my recommendation would be the most expensive but gives you the best outcome...

CircuPool® SJ-20 Salt Pool System

2 Sj40's 1 for each pool connected to its own pump... you could set each system and not worry about it..

if that does not work for you get the sj55 and do number 1 on your list CircuPool® SJ-40 Salt Pool System

you will really need to watch and test your lower pool for chlorine.. If you go this route Hayward and Pentair have almost the same amount SWG's that you could use also...

That is a reasonable suggestion ... but, I forgot to say that I already bought the SWCG :), it is a Circupool Si60, as that produces 3.1 lbs of Chlorine per day vs 2.35lbs/day. My reasoning for not getting 2 SWCG is that (apart from cost), I want to reduce the number of duplicated equipment I have and if I had 2 SWCG I would need to run my 2 biggest pumps (single speed) for a considerable amount of time. With a single SWCG I can eventually replace the pump that drives it by a VS pump and optimize things further.

hmmmm, my recommendation would be the most expensive but gives you the best outcome...

CircuPool® SJ-20 Salt Pool System

2 Sj40's 1 for each pool connected to its own pump... you could set each system and not worry about it..

if that does not work for you get the sj55 and do number 1 on your list CircuPool® SJ-40 Salt Pool System

you will really need to watch and test your lower pool for chlorine.. If you go this route Hayward and Pentair have almost the same amount SWG's that you could use also...

that SI60 should work out great for you... you say you want a VS pump but have you looked at a 2speed like mine? on high it can move a lot of water and low runs my SWG just fine... Just an idea for you to think about... Just so you know, I am not the pump guy :) I did lots of research for my situation and went with that pump...

Yeah, the 2 speed might definitively be a good way to go. I am just a little wary that it is hard to know whether the low speed is enough flow for the cell. If there a good way to be sure just based on the specs?

that SI60 should work out great for you... you say you want a VS pump but have you looked at a 2speed like mine? on high it can move a lot of water and low runs my SWG just fine... Just an idea for you to think about... Just so you know, I am not the pump guy :) I did lots of research for my situation and went with that pump...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.