Liquid CYA?

Yup. You can go to many pool stores and find liquid conditioner or stabilizer (manufacturers use different names). It will only be about 30% and cost a lot more per fluid ounce than solid granular CYA. On a comparative weight basis it's about 2X the cost to use liquid solutions of CYA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Yep, usually labeled as liquid stabilizer or liquid conditioner. Not as easy to find and comes at a price premium, but works just fine.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

I googled before posting this and saw natural chemistry's liquid conditioner but wasn't sure the liquid form was the same as the solid. I was concerned about using it if it has any additional additives that will mess with the pool balance(such as using trichlor pucks does). Im just starting up my pool for the season and it has little to no cya, really don't want to wait a week for the solid cya to dissolve as I want to get and keep chlorine levels correct asap.

Brian

I googled before posting this and saw natural chemistry's liquid conditioner but wasn't sure the liquid form was the same as the solid. I was concerned about using it if it has any additional additives that will mess with the pool balance(such as using trichlor pucks does). Im just starting up my pool for the season and it has little to no cya, really don't want to wait a week for the solid cya to dissolve as I want to get and keep chlorine levels correct asap.

Brian

Well, I hope you did not buy the liquid CYA but, if you did, that's ok too.

The correct way to approach this situation is thus - add the granular CYA to your pool water using the sock methods (I think it works best in front of a return but some people like to put it in the skimmer...your choice) and then chlorinate your pool on the assumption that your CYA is at the level you figured it would be from using Pool Math.

CYA does not take a week to dissolve. I have dissolved over 4 lbs of it using the sock method in under 4 hours simply by going out to the sock and massaging it every so often. Once the CYA dissolves into the water, it is there and it is doing it's job. So you are perfectly safe if you just assume that the CYA is at the correct level while you bring up the FC. You can test the CYA whenever you like after it is all dissolved.

As I said, there's no reason to spend the extra money on the liquid stuff, but, if you did, that's ok too. I'm just trying to save you a few bucks.

Hope that helps,

Matt

I will admit that this past season I purchased the liquid CYA for a few reasons. I am impatient and needed it. I also wanted to know more about it as an option- a thick liquid that is best used if you're going to use the entire bottle at one time I think because it might be difficult to measure (for my pool the entire bottle was enough to bring my CYA level up aprox 35ppm).

When I use granular CYA I hang it on a pool noodle and let it float around. It takes a few days to dissolve, and I don't want to leave it in the skimmer because then I'd have to run the pump 24/7 (CYA has a low pH and if that CYA rich, low pH water sat in the skimmer concentrating...well, that's a big bolus of low pH water to hit the pump and equipment all at once when you do turn the pump on. Kinda harsh, huh?) So in this case I tried the liquid. I liked that by the very next day I could test for CYA reliably unlike granular CYA which takes up to a week to show up on the tests.

So while I doubt I'll use it again, I might if ever I get impatient again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.