Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing new Micro Switches on CVA24 actuator.

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing new Micro Switches on CVA24 actuator.

Thank you members!

I just found this site and I am impressed with threads read so far. Can any one help me with installing new switches on my Actuator. Mine are CVA24 but do not show a T at the end of the model #. The switches seem to be attached to the base plate but I cannot tell if they pry out or attached some other way. One sits lower on the cam lever? than the other one.

When switching from spa to pool; the pool valve does not return and the spa continues to drain into the pool till empty. Many think the problem is with the inexpensive micro switches, so that would be my first change. Does the capacitor have to be discharged before removing the switches/ If so what is the best way to discharge it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

17000 gallon in ground gunite pool with sunshelf and spa emptying into square shaped pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing new Micro Switches on CVA24 actuator.

Welcome to TFP. You can find a lot of information from very knowledgeable people on this site.

The correct micro switches are:

653-SS-5T
    MFG Part No:SS-5T
    SS-5T
    Omron Basic / Snap Action Switches

You can get these at Mouser, Digi Key or any other electronic parts supplier.

They are held in place by two small screws, and there is no need to discharge the capacitor. You may want to cut off the middle leg on the switches, but not required. Be careful not to bend any of the terminals on the micro switch. I have found that this puts stress on the switch internals and can cause a failure.

The "T" on the end of the CVA-24 part number means that there is a toggle switch used to reverse the direction of the actuator. Newer actuators have this, while older units do not. You can accomplish the same thing the switch does by pulling the connector out of the actuator, turn it 180 degrees then push it back in.

I soldered all connections in my CVA-24 actuators and have been able to keep them going for over 20 years now by just replacing the micro switches when the actuators start to malfunction. The switches almost always are the cause of problems.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks; Gary300, I appreciate your help. I ordered the switches and will install as soon as they arrive.

4. Back To Top    #4

A couple of other tips:

Lubricate with silicone lubricant where the shaft comes through the top cover and also the long thin o-ring that goes between the two covers to keep water out.

Take out the whole base plate that everything if mounted to and inspect the three drive gears to see that they are well greased and no rust is present. I had one actuator leak and rusted out the drive gears. These are replaceable also, but not cheap.

Good luck with your actuator!
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Installed new micro switches but actuators will only work with toggle switch. I think the toggle switches should be set in the middle position after I operate the valve, am I correct???

6. Back To Top    #6

Center is OFF
    Up is ON 1
    Down is On 2

One of the On modes is what you want, the other puts the valve in the opposite mode. Off is no remote control, stops the valve instantly.
    20' x 40' 30,000 gallon IG Plaster with Spa, wading pool, fountain built 1993
    Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo / 2HP fountain pump / 2 HP spa jet punp / Jandy Ji8000 controller with IntelliComm II interface to IntelliFlo
    Crystal Water Aqua Clean 60 Sq ft DE filter / FlowVis Flow / Stenner DIY Chlorinator / The Poolcleaner 4-wheel / Taylor K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to all for your help! Reset switches and all seems to be working well.