Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of main drain is that?

1. Back To Top    #1

What kind of main drain is that?

Hello,

I found this at the bottom of my pool:

IMG_20160313_180834.jpg

Looks like a 8" man drain.

The white washer on the right was at the bottom of it. I guess it was blocking all the suction from the pump.
    I've tested by plugging the skimmer and starting the WhisperFlo pump and the water at the bottom of the main drain started to get sucked. So I guess they are connected.

I've not found a 3-way valve that would allow me to regulate the flows from the skimmer vs the main drain. There is only one tube that comes out of the ground and goes directly to the WhisperFlo pump.

How does regulate how much does each side (main drain vs skimmer) takes in?

Don't I need a cover on that drain? Which cover model would you recommend?

Thanks for your help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What kind of main drain is that?

How did you plug the skimmer?

Typically, the main drain feeds up to a second port in the bottom of the skimmer and a diverter sits on the floor of the skimmer and adjusts flow.

Are there two holes in the bottom of the skimmer well?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is a view of my skimmer.

IMG_20160313_200533.jpg

The little tube at the bottom protrudes. So to plug it, I used a plastic can cover and put a little weight on it for a tighter fit.
    1972 House later addition IG plaster pool, 17x32 ft oval, 4 ft to 8 ft deep end, 20K gallons, 4 pleatco PCC80-PAK4 cartridges for Clean and Clear Plus 320 Pentair filter, Pentair 011513 WhisperFlo E-Plus 1.0HP 1.65SF pump on Intermatic Mechanical Timer, Tablet Chlorinator Pentair 320, later addition Polaris 280 cleaner, Zodiac PB4-60Q Polaris Halcyon Booster Pump (June 2014) on Intermatic Mechanical Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I'm stumped.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Any chance its a hydrostatic valve? (albeit an incredibly large one??)
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, the 8" part you are referring to is the ring that is set into the plaster for the main drain cover to get secured into. The actual main drain is the pipe in the lower area of the ring (looks to be 1-1/2" or 2" pipe). You are missing a drain cover.

Post a picture of your pool equipment. With only a single pipe coming from your skimmer, the main drain suction would have to run all the way back to the pump unless it is tee'd into the skimmer line somewhere in an area not readily visible.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

7. Back To Top    #7

I love the way you are using the pictures to make sure we know what you are talking about. That makes life much easier for everyone! Good job!

Kim (I have no idea on the answers sorry)
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit