Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: spa pH issues

1. Back To Top    #1

spa pH issues

My spa alkalinity was 30, pH was 7.0 I added baking soda which I thought would only raise the alkalinity and not have much effect on the pH, and after getting the alkalinity in the correct range, I would adjust the pH.

I got the alkalinity in the 80-90 range, but was surprised that the pH went way up too, beyond even the 8.2 visual scale. I thought baking soda had a limited effect on pH, reading the TFP basics. I don't understand why that happened?
    Spa: 330 gallon acrylic spa, bromine tablets.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: spa pH issues

We're the spa jets running?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

With the higher TA and the spa jets running that could have increased your PH. TA of 80-90 is too high for a spa. More like 50 is better.

There is good discussion in this article about PH and TA. You can skip the part about chlorine since you use bromine.
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Joe, I keep my ALK at 30 to keep PH from raising... I still need to add acid about every 2 to 3 weeks to drop the PH.. when my ALK was at 70 I had to lower PH every day..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, they were running when I added the baking soda.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine was at 30 but I am having a problem with the PH. I get it in the 7.6 range and then over the course of a week or so, it is down in the high 6's or very low 7's without any further chemicals other than the floating bromine dispenser, and it is in target range. I thought (and read) that if the alkalinity is too low (or too high) there is a problem keeping the PH stabilized.

Thanks for the responses and pooldv, thanks for the link.
    Spa: 330 gallon acrylic spa, bromine tablets.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, too low can be an issue as well. As it was with yours at 30. Try 59 and see how your PH behaves.

Edit, try TA of 50. Not 59, lol.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Pooldv is right on, too low or too high and it will fluctuate fast, you want to find the sweet spot where it moves very slow
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **